_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A lament for the old days
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
**NOTE TO MODERATORS**

PLease leave this topic in this forum as I am trying to generate interest in another forum

OK I am old school Armorama , back when it was one site and ships, planes and tanks were just forrums on the site. We had another forum called junk drawer where a lot of us would get togethr and talk about ourselves and do weird surveys and such. We have something like that here on this site called Jack Sparrow's Pirate Cove, but almost no one ever goes there. I posted a college football challenge several weeks ago and no one even rose to the occassion. I just put some stuff on there now trying to put a little fun into it. Take a look and maybve we can get folks stopping in there as well as the 2 or 3 other forums on this site.

Believe it or not, back when Armorama first started it was a lot of fun. NO fighting, no know it alls trying to show off, When someone found a new technique or product they shared it in the General Modeling forum. Of course now Armorama is all split up into 3 or 4 different sites each with their different set of forums. Armorama tanks has lost a lot of friendliness with too many "experts" quoting from books and arguing over tidbits and minor viewpoints. (Seeing how none of them were actually there who is right and more importantly who cares)

I hope we can get things fun again here. I hit this site a couple of times a day but find so little new that It is no longert a highlight to see what is new or going on. Heck, just look at one of the forums, 90 % of the postings have little yellow tags on them like NEWS, REVIEWS, or FEATURE. No one posts no talking about what you've built or asking questions hardly ever.

Let's put the fun back into this site that was once there, it is just becoming boring. I do the Tank site about 3 times week and am wondering why I come here so much as half the time there is very little I even have a response to.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 10:53 AM UTC
Yep, I too miss the days of "atta boy" "looks good", "how you do that" and a hell of a lot of good laughs and fun.
Shame it seems to be all about "my rivet is better than your rivet" now.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC
You know something I notice the same thing. There are days when it seems like there is nothign that goes on.

I, of course, wish there was more lively discussions. Not sure what to do about it.

Anyone have any ideas?

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC
Dave thnaks for the support, I know you and I are real old school and back in the old corp (a saying at VMI) things were so much different then. That's why you and I have posts in the multiple thousands

Jim....I posted three or 4 threads in the Pirates Cove and hopefully some folks will read this thread and go take a look. Those are the things we would do. Talk about movies, music, girls, birthdays, Back then we used to celebrate "promotions" The rank structure was only US army and if you saw you got promoted you'ld announce it and a bunch would all have a virtual beer to celebrate. Most of those guys are gone now Take a look , you see very few folks with 5,000 or so posts Most of them got bored and have pretty much become occassional participants.

We all used to post pix of a model we had just completed, I quit doing it because the process got harder. Dade is one of very few who does it, and he delightfully takes us through an entire build. Back then you might say...hey look at my new tank and post 3 or 4 pix. Then everyone would comment. MOst would say good job, but I notice now comments like oh that is wrong, that is not accurate, the wheel should have 6 nuts in it not 5.jadda, jadda jadda

Don't get me wrong, here (Model Shipwrights) we don't do that. It is not acrimonious, but neither is it family...a band of brothers so to speak. This is what Dave and I remember.and wax nostalgic about.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Well, I know for me I've gotten busier with work and Gator's Masks. My post are down everywhere. And I've been in a slump with the building side. I guess I'm just in a funk right now. I like the fact that you have started up with the Pirate Cove. I like that it is now showing up on the latest post. To me, this was always an under utilized section of MSW. We need a place to goof off and not always talk about ship models.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 118 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC
I don't post pics of my models as I don't want to make you guys cry...such good and expensive kits treated so poorly.

But if you think you can take it I will post.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
Jay:

Just do what I do. Take the pictures from far away...(LOL) that way no one can see all your mistakes. I look at my version of the Kongo and then at what Dade did. From 4 feet mine looks as good as his, any closer and you can se the bent and mangled guard rail . Have gone to an offbrand that is a wee bit thicker and has a third rail for gluing purposes since then.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 12:01 AM UTC
I do not want anyone scared to post their work here. From the young 12 y/o who builds his first ship all the way up to the master builders.

This is a hobby. Some people do make a living at it, but others do it to relax.

We sometimes get wrapped up in life and do not take time to relax, we all need to do more of that. Other times we get wrapped up in relaxing, which is a good thing, I think.

For me rivet counting or weld seam measuring is just not for me. Maybe in the future, but not now. It is not wrong in anyway, but it is not for me. Those who do fall into this category need to realize not everyone feels the same way.

But, we should all build away and also take tie to smell the flowers.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
At my end, 2 sprues worth of comment - Due to work, life and health reasons, both my bench time and forum time has been severely curtailed over the summer. Getting back in the swing of things, but at the momment I dont have the time to read/post/build/take pics, etc. I recon I am not the only one in this situation, maybe explaining some of the slowing down of the postings.

ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:47 PM UTC
I'd like to add a few words to. First please accept my appologies. I feel that I have contributed to the whole "thats not correct" feelings. I personally like criticism on my models as I can learn and do better next time. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone in the past.

I was invited to join the site over a year ago and was really impressed with all the activity and good banter on the website. However I have seen a decline in use as of late. I personally can think of three reasons why it might of slowed down. At the risk of being a hipocrite for criticising to much, hear are the reasons. If the last one has improved recently I'd like to know how to do it.

1. Summer: I have been busy with work(summer is our busy season), yard work, outdoor activities and trips. When winter comes I spend more time indoors and more time modeling.

2. Bad Economy: If the 10% unemployment rate is true for the populous then 1 in 10 modelers has lost their job recently. If it were me, I'd likely stay away from sites like this as it would be very depressing hear what someone else has bought or has time to work on, while I'm worried about my next mortgage payment.

3. Picture Posting: The kitmaker site really needs to improve this to the degree that a picture can be uploaded as a attachment to a forum post directly. I posted a pic in a post once and I found the method very akward. Most other model sites offer this and not just ones about model ships. This is a great convenience and I fear that the site will continue to decline if this feature is not added as modelers move to other sites that offer it.

If anyone was offended again, I am truly sorry.

On a plus side I **LOVE** this sites review, news, gallery and feature sections and love reading and viewing the photos in the format offered here and whould not know what to do with out them. Please do not change anything in these sections.
 _GOTOTOP