_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Latest on Trumpeters 1/350th
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC
Just to throw more gas on the fire;

Tracy I think if you recheck you will find that Lincoln's name is posted on his commentary. It is Lincoln Stafford written in bold black letters above his callsign "superglued fingers" as is my name Steve Joyce written above my call sign Blaster
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:07 AM UTC
I was just looking at pics of the recovered Graf Spee's stern eagle made of bronze. Was this eagle painted over during wartime? In one BW pic reportedly in Montevideo harbor, the swastika appears to be much lighter than both the bronze eagle and the hull..does this indicate that the swastika was painted white and that the rest of the eagle was left unpainted bronze? I realize that overpainting the bronze eagle for camo purposes is probably questionable and unnessessary.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:05 PM UTC
I am not sure about your specific example, but I read somewhere (cant find it now) that in many early post WW2 pics re-prints the swastica was "bleached" out in the negative, giving off a different shade on the print. I cant remember the source, was in the context of the Bismarck...

As for copyright stuff... I am a college professor and have been 'schooled" in the Fair Use copyright issues (Section 107). We all have our "cheat sheet" in our offices... here is couple salient items that relate to this posting:

Examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use:

1- quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment;

2- quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations;

3 - reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson;

Seems to me, in my humble opinion, that the posting of the illustration falls in all three categories. Moreover, no one has profited from this posting. I would have posted the link in addition to the illustration; or place a textbook within the illustration with the source as reference. One key to Fair use is to post LIMITED amounts of the material, and do not make a derivative work.

Lets get back to modelling!
 _GOTOTOP