_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Scharnhorst from Dragon
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC
A new 1/350 DKM Scharnhorst has just been announced by Dragon.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45071&p=299468#p299468
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Well, I cannot repeat my first words, but YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems my German Navy will be taking to the high seas!!! Now, I just need 24 more hours in the day and a fatter wallet!

Thanks for the news.

Working Link

Also this from the official Dragon site.

Scharnhorst by Dragon

C|:-)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
Very nice!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Very nice. If they do as good a job with this ship as they do with their U.S. destroyers it should be quite a kit. I hope this means they will sell a ton of these, bring out the Gneisenau, sell a ton of those, bring out some German cruisers and destroyers, sell a ton of those, then once in a while bring out ships that flew the White Ensign. Bottom line is anything in 1/350 is OK by me.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
It's always nie to have another major player in he 350 field. I feel positivly spoiled.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:31 PM UTC
Good news again!
I might have to rob a bank and move to a bigger house if they keep announcing all these 350 kits (maybe NOT a bank...somewhere with money would probablt be better):D
Looking at the isometric drawing on the Dragon link, I think thre's going to be an earlier version as well. Think about a new bow forward of the line running just in front of the hawse hole.
TTFN
Tom
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at the isometric drawing on the Dragon link, I think thre's going to be an earlier version as well. Think about a new bow forward of the line running just in front of the hawse hole.

That line is just a limitation in the CAD software, and not an indicator of a clipper bow version. Of course it doesn't rule out one either.
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
Great news ,I think,you see in the UK we pay though the nose for Dragon kits,e.g. their 32nd Bf110D comes out at £100,the Gearing costs £50,so, I reckon we are looking at £150-£200 in the UK,I don`t think they will sell many here,shame.

regardsPhil
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That line is just a limitation in the CAD software, and not an indicator of a clipper bow version. Of course it doesn't rule out one either.

I think you are right about that line. The system I use at work will put odd lines on my models and I always get asked what is that line for. If I print out a model with different rendering the details don't show up, so, I am at the mercy of my software.

I do not know the software used to make the models on this particular kit, but knowing what it takes me to make a simple nut, that must take a while to build up an entire ship.

Phil - I guess buying a kit from an American source does not help much with the cost either with duties and such getting added. Too bad they basically charge the same they do here but just switch the currency type. You would think a $50USD kit would be 25 pounds or so(sorry no pound symbol).

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC
It was built with SolidWorks, and to help others understand what you meant here is the model rendered:

And concerning the price of kits, is it just cheaper to buy them from Hong Kong and have them shipped to the UK?
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC
Intially it might be cheaper to buy from Hong Kong,but then you get slapped with import duty from the HM Customs,and another charge from the Royal Mail,I know ,I`ve just had to pay these charges for an Academy Graf Spee from HLJ ,which with postal charges,increased the price by over 100%
regards Phil
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 07:56 AM UTC
I feel your pain Brother Phil. We don't get hit for any of that extra taxes. I'll pay roughly $83 for my Trumpy Graf Spee which is like 45 pounds. Order stuff from China or Japan we get clobbered for postage, but still save enough on the big kits to make it worth it. Ordering small stuff is a real bargain. (Lucky Models sells Lionroar with free shipping)
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
I bet it will still cheaper than the 350 Scharnhorst that I bought.
 _GOTOTOP