_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
1/350 real wood deck questions
Nimitz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 06:36 PM UTC
Dear All,

Do you guys use the wood deck as it is or do you stain it? If needs to stain it, how to do or is there any wood stain to use?

I would like my wood deck to be a little bit weathered look.
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 09:16 PM UTC
depends
a)the original deck wood color
b)the degree of usage or years in service
c)the actual color of the product (some are just too bright for the scale)

I advise to ppl to start painting the deck and generaly the wooden surfaces of ships , instead of adding those decks.However good they might look on first inspection (and i have 2 or 3 myself) after adding them the biggest drawback is scale thickness and gaps around bulkheads.For either 1/700 or 1/350 those 2 (of any company )are just too visible in my opinion and take away considerable amount of any realism they add with their real wood feel to the model.

Of course as everything , it takes a bit of practice to become good at painting such tricky surfaces and create the illusion but it can be done and it looks a lot more convincing to the eye .
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
You could stain them, but if you are just looking to weather them a bit get some "The Detailer" which is a acrylic awsh. I have it in black nd brown to do my decks. brush it on and wipe it off. It is water based so you can moderate it's use. Hand painting a deck with different shades to show wood looks spectacular, but it is extremely difficult and time consuming
Nimitz
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 04:43 PM UTC
I have the water base black wash from promodeller which I think I could use that but do I need to gloss clear coat the deck? I 'm affraid that the wash would soak into the wooden deck thus making it difficult to wipe.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
I think it depends on how long and the quantitiy you use. I cannot remember if I dull-coated it first or nt. More than likely I did. I don't think a gloss coat is required as you aren't looking to put decals down
 _GOTOTOP