_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Hasegawa 350th Akagi Question
Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
So.....does this kit build into a decent looking ship OOB?

I've seen all he brass available and no way am I going that way, just got into railings at this point.
If anything I might go the wooden deck, but that's it.

Built OOB, is it on par with the Hasegawa Nagato, Trumpeter Hood Tamiya Mogami etc?

Thanks......
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
I will be taking on that kit next year for the Flattops campaign and I have purchased all the added goodies save the wooden flight deck. I'm not sure if your hesitancy over the extensive PE is the added cost or the extra work involved, but like other construction issues in our hobby, substantial PE assemblies can be managed--take them one step at a time, avoid arbitrary deadlines and they will work out. I'm not a PE devotee where half my kits are brass aftermarket, but for that added 'bump' on large models, the extra stuff is worthwhile.

In any case, the OOB model should be very satisfactory. There are pics from Hasegawa showing it all-plastic. It comes down to what you want to get from the completed project.

--Karl
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
I've got the full monte for mine, but you might just want to go with set A which has the railings.
superfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 10:20 AM UTC
It is an excellent oob kit...BUT get the railings and the wooden deck....its peel n'stick and it looks gorgeous!!!...you might want to get more planes too...Akagi deserves a full fight deck to show how BIG this ship really was! I personally bought ALL the PE sets + brass barrels(2 different sets)..... the lasercut wooden deck..brass propellers and 5 sets of extra planes...Lionroars rails and turntables..a few resins sets from voyager...and I'm still waiting for White Ensign Model's PE set.

Its doesn't matter how much or little you go....Hasegawa's Akagi will still be a stunning ship!
Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Thanks gentlemen......breaking that 240+ for just the kit when I am used to paying low to mid $100's for Trumpy and Tamiya kits is a tough one to swallow....then there's the extras.....

I'm thinking maybe deck, railings, barrels........I have been following a couple builds and have read all the reviews....

Just listed my 3 of my 1/8 Pocher cars and have the 35th dora on ebay...so there's my "found" cash....lol

Thanks for all the helpful info!
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC
Your selling your Dora Though I love the IJN in 1:350 and really loved building the Akagi, to have my Dora dio displayed equates to the 'Mona Lisa' hanging in the Louvre.
Removed by original poster on 10/25/09 - 17:29:21 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP