_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
New 1/144 scale kit by Lindberg
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
Guess this hasn't hit the newsroom yet...

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/colindnews/iHobby-Expo-2009.php

Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
They won't fool me again into pre-ordering.....burned me with their 72nd I-53 abortion....
I'll wait until a few reliable reviews come out first this time.

It's also very obvious this prototype was not built by the fellow that did their proto I-53 and Graf Zeppelin either......
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
A 1:144 BB-39? Now we're talking! The prototype looks decent, though the recessed bits behind the old hull casemates need to be made flush and the radar antenna on the foremast was still in the ship's future...but since the prototype pics for Lindberg's I-53 and Graf Zeppelin carrier betrayed problems (the I-20 prototype looked fine, though) and this shot of the Arizona looks nice, this should be a great project if the price is right.

Hooray for Airfix putting out a 1:24 Mossie, so why don't they train their sights on the WW II Royal Navy?

Finally, a 1:48 Hawkeye. Now I can replace that mediocre sratchbuild I have on my 1:48 Midway at the San Diego ballpark!

--Karl
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
I agree with Firecaptain, I'll wait until some reviews come out on the Arizona before getting too excited. Lindburgh has had a dubious reputation in the past,but I really hope they bring it together in the future. It's not as if I'll be rushing out to buy what is sure to be a $200 plus kit any time soon anyway.

Quoted Text

Hooray for Airfix putting out a 1:24 Mossie, so why don't they train their sights on the WW II Royal Navy?

Here, here. I would absolutely LOVE to see Airfix be to British Royal Navy ships the way the Japanese firms are being to Japanese ships.
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Rodger,
I`m afraid that Airfix ,apart tfrom the 350th Illustrious,will never do what the Japanese companies are doing.We will be lucky to see a follow up to the Lusty in about five years.

I remember,they brought out ,many years ago,the 72nd Vosper MTB,which created quite a stir,and had good sales,but it was five years before they released the E-boat kit ,by which time interest had waned,shame .
regards Phil

No sooner I had posted the above ,then on Steelnavy,there is a rumour of a 350th HMS Dreadnought from Airfix,presumably the 1906 "Daddy of them all",not the first nuke sub.I`m happy that I`ve made to eat my words in this case!!

Phil
Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
L/H has GOT to get this right folks, my bet is this thing is easily gonna cost $300.....or more.
This, like their sub ain't no first time model buyers purchase, or for the kid that saves his money from a paper route (do kids even do that anymore?)
This is a square shot at the true model builder / ship enthusiast's wallet.
I hope and pray Mr Pettit gets this one as close to perfect as he possibly can and utilizes all available resources out there to do so.....(I know there are NO perfect kits, past, present or in our future).
AND.....if they don't get a move on....Trumpeter will beat them to the punch with their 1/200th Arizona first.......heck they might even change their scale to 1/144th.......

I have gleaned from the other threads on other sites that Mr Millilo(?) is in fact the builder of this prototype.

Rant off........
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 02:54 AM UTC
Here's some more info from the show:

http://members.boardhost.com/Warship/msg/1256481623.html

Since this model was built by the same guy who did the Japanese subs, skepticism may be the proper way to look at this future kit (2010 or 2011). As for the Dreadnought rumor, it's coming from a poster with an ISP that's not in use (registered to the Grand Caymans), and an IP that's out of Amsterdam (as are three of the other posters), it may be questionable.
 _GOTOTOP