_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Color(s) question
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
I am in need of some help please. I have a couple of projects that I am going to be working on where I will need to depict water. What are good colors to use for painting the water to make it look realistic?

Most of my projects are painted OD green, German Dark Grey or Africa Mustard and I never have them in the water so that is why I am asking the experts here. The ocean is new territory for me.

Thank you,

HARV
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
just use a few varrying shades of blue, another good color is kind of a muddy green A lot of this depends on what kind of medium you are using too. I've seen plaster, the liquid resin / gel stuff and even tinfoil. A lot depends on if you are doing shorline or the deep blue sea too.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
...or Pacific of Atlantic oceans
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies.

One of my projects is going to be the ironclads Monitor and Merrimac facing each other.

The other is going to be a Russian flying boat that was produced between WWI and WWII. So I am not sure where to have it placed.

Thanks again for the help.

HARV
Skayden
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC

Speaking as an oil painter who's spent some time observing such things the color of the sea depends a great deal on the color of the sky, so while you'd probably have some explaining to do if you painted your sea bright orange it wouldn't necessarily be inaccurate.

However you're probably better off taking the advice above and going with blues, greens, and grays... which specific ones isn't terribly important.. The key, I think, is to vary it a bit. Paint a board one shade of blue and it's going to look like a blue shingle, but toss in a slightly different shade each time you empty your brush and you'll have something more convincing.

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Well,Ive only done water once, but it turned out pretty good i think ..
I started with white Das Pronto, and painted it, using craft paints , splotchy green and blue ...it looked like dogvomit..lol
then I made a black/blue wash and painted the whole base about 3 or four times ,watching as it got darker and darker.
Once I got it where I wanted I drybrushed the wavecrests with white and the black/blue..
I then painted a few coats of straight FUTURE floor polish on ..then painted in the foamcrest again a bit ....then cleaned up with more future..
you can see pics of it in the Pre-Drednaught campaign thread..
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for your replies and help. I really appreciate your assistance. Now I can proceed with my projects with more confidence.

Thanks again,

HARV
 _GOTOTOP