_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Amazing trip to Greatmodels.com
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 12:01 PM UTC
If any of you are in the Sandy, Utah area and have an hour or more to spare, stop by the Greatmodels.com physical location. They allow you to browse and shop their warehouse and let me tell you it is amazing! They have a several thousand square feet of nothing but models models, paint, finishing supplies, reference books and aftermarket parts. My favorite place was the photoetch room. Imagine a 30x30 square foot room with everything from Aber to Yankee Modelworks resin, photoetch and other aftermarket parts and kits. I got to see a lot of products I've been thinking about ordering and if the kits are not shrinkwrapped or taped you can open the box to inspect them.

Somethings to remember if you stop by:

They only allow you in the warehouse on weekdays and only until 4pm.
This is a warehouse, so somethings are a bit out of place at times and the interior is unfinished warehouse decor.
I was warned by another modeler that no prices are posted on the inventory to do research before coming and don't annoy the workers with a lot of price checks.

My first visit was fantastic and I got some Aber and Voyager PE to boot. It reminds me of those photos I see of Japan hobby shops. My only regret is that I ran out of time and didn't get to see everything I wanted.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 12:23 PM UTC
Do you pay their listed prices or shipping price? We went down a couple of years ago and the place was more secure than the White House. No one inside, period. I'm glad they opened up. Their two "storefront" locations aren't really.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
I agree about a year ago I had a very unpleasant email from them when I asked if I could pickup orders and visit the local personally. I did not pay shipping, got everything on sale and everyone was friendly. It was a good visit all around.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
KInd of how the Squdron shop operates. They have an open house in May and that's about it. I am a local so I don't go there except during this time, but i have heard that out of towners sometimes get in. 20 years ago when i lived in Alabama and came by they let me in.
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hannants allow you to browse inside their warehouse at Lowestoft - I did it when I was on holiday in that area. An amazing experience...I only had an hour, but could have spent all day (and a months pay!) in there. Soooooo many kits......
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 10:55 AM UTC
and let me tell you it is amazing! They have a several thousand square feet of nothing but models models, paint, finishing supplies, reference books and aftermarket parts. My favorite place was the photoetch room. Imagine a 30x30 square foot room with everything from Aber to Yankee Modelworks resin, photoetch and other aftermarket parts and kits

Sounds like some of our members personal stashes

must have been a good trip !!
 _GOTOTOP