_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 Mine Sweeper Tripartite
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

today I am starting a little project hat has been around for almost a decade, but has not received the merits it well deserves.
The subject is the TRIPARTITE- Class mine sweeper in 1/350 produced by L’Arsenal.
The TRIPARTITE (threepart) co-operation program of Belgium, The Netherlands and France set out in the mid 70ties calling for a new class of mine sweeper. While the actual ship building was carried out in each country’s facilities the sweeping equipment for all was provided by France, the electronics were developed and supplied by Belgium, while the propulsion system were out of Dutch production. The building program ran through the 1980ies, in which 25 vessels were completed. Within almost 30 years of service the ships ran through a number of upgrading programs to meet new challenges and incorporate new facilities.
Most of the ships are still on active duty today serving in the navies of Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Indonesia, Bulgaria, Latvia and Pakistan. The latter did actually build one boat under license.
TRIPARTITE class mine sweepers displace a mere 605 metric tons at a length of 51.5 meters, 8.9meters beam, and 3.8 meters of standard draught. Such light weight is a result of a Polyester compound hull necessary to avoid the threat of magnetic mines.
Powered by a V-12 Diesel plant providing 1370kW the ships are designed for a top speed of 15 knots and may travel 3000 miles at 12 knots. To keep position the ships are equipped with 2 active rudders, both carrying a propulsion gondola which may be steered individually.
The complement varies in between navies from 34 to 47 officers and men.
All ships are fitted with a French 20mm Giat F2 canon on the focsle. Furthermore 2 to 3 .50cal machine guns are carried to set off mines afloat and provide close-in protection against asymmetrical threats.
The standard equipment for mine sweeping is two PAP-104 B cable guided diving vehicles equipped with active detection gear designed to carry an up to 100 kg mine disposal charge.
On an open platform abaft of the funnel housing provides space for a standard 20’ sea container that may carry special equipment such as additional/alternate sweeping gear or a decompression chamber for divers.
Latest addition to the set of tools is the Double eagle MkII and III ROV and SAROV.
(http://www.seaeye.com/doubleeagle.html)

The kit of L’Arsenal come to you in clean white, sturdy box showing a line drawing of the TRIPARTITE mine sweeper.
Firmly rolled up in bubble wrap you'll find a resin cast hull and a number of small bags holding various pouring stubs with the kit’s parts. Furthermore a decal sheet for hull numbers are supplied along with a photo etch fret.

The decals sheet provides all marking options for Dutch, French, and Belgian ships.
The PE is relief etched and very fine. The material is somewhere between the sturdiness of GMM and the softness of WEM and should be a treat to work with.

The kits parts are finely cast and show no bubbles or incomplete casting. There is a bit of flesh to be removed, but it won’t hurt. The casting stubs are quite fine resulting in a minimum of clean up. Unfortunately I seem to have lost one of the anchors upon unpacking. Otherwise the parts count is complete. The hull and superstructure are cast in one piece covered with detail over and over. A small casting stub at the bottom of the hull shouldn’t be much of a challenge to remove. The overall casting is widely flawless with only a handful of tiny pin holes on deck. Fortunately I’ll stick to building ships in seascapes, so I won’t be irritated by the come-off starboard bilge keels. The port bilges keels are complete, but I will remove them first thing in construction.

From what I can see, the kit provides all option for the early TRIPARTITE. Some of the later equipment and fittings will not be hard to scratch build. Besides paint and glue everything is there and delivered in satisfactory quality. If you have previously dealt with Jacques Druel - owner and mastermind of L’Arsenal – you’ll know that he will replace the hull without any hesitation, if asked to so due to the damage to the bilge keels. Excellent service policy is one of Jacques’ foremost marks of trade.

The only real concern I have is that my French sucks big time. In best tradition of the Le Grande Nation the multi-page instruction is fully laid out in French, which will prove to be a challenge. I would have wished for an English version, but then this kit would have proven to be no challenge at all. So I’ll take it a good sport. I am glad that I can fall back on Jacque with all my dumb questions, which may make him consider to issue future L’Arsenal instruction sheets in English.

I’ll start right away and keep you updated with progress news as I go along.

Cheers,
Guido
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

getting a “clean start” is always good advice. So first I remove all parts from their casting stubs and remove the flesh. Only the hull requires a bit more attention to get the stem and bottom clean. As previously mentioned I will set up a seascape display so remove the bilge keels at this point, as well. After a more than astounding 45 minutes I can start to clean up the parts using oven spray and a tooth brush. All parts are being rinsed with warm water. Finally I spray all parts with window cleaning agent that will ensure than no lime scale will encrust the parts by accelerating the evaporation process. As our tab water is quite hard, I found this quite helpful. Of cause you may use distilled water for rinsing and safe the trouble.
In a next step I paint the model all over using Revell dark grey to achieve a pre-shading effect as the plane guys usually do. With the paint on the previously mentioned handful of pin holes become evident. All of them are filled using a needle and white glue. As soon as this is dry I run a couple more passes of grey over those filled up holes. Then the deck is sealed using Revell flat coat. While this dries I demark the boot topping area in black. As soon as all paints are dry the deck and boot topping line are masked off.

I found that WEM Admiralty light grey fits the grey used by the French Navy quite well, so I quickly decided to build a French vessel. I run multiple layers of thin coats across the hull taking care to leave a cloudy pattern simulating wear and allowing the recesses to stay a tad bit darker than the flat surfaces.

WEM asks for 6 hours of drying time, which is happily granted, even though I would wish for an acrylic colour coats line of such fine naval shades and quality. However, John and Caroline have again declined any request for a WEM acrylic paint line for good economical and quality control reasons.
Anyway, six hours later the best part of the hull remains being masked off, while the bottom gets sprayed in a blend of Revell’s fiery red with a drop of black.

An hour later I have removed the masking and start to touch up and paint the windows.

The bridge area is quite big and if you should try to open the bridge fully and install all the dashboards, etc. you probably won’t find it too daunting. I however have decided to go for a bit of a quicker build this time.

The only omissions in the hull casting are the bilge pump outlets, which I have added using a .4mm drill bit. By the end of the second session of the build, I have to say that this is what I call “a straight forward build”. So far writing this report has required as much time as the build itself.
I wonder if there are any tripping ropes on the way ahead.

TBC

Guido
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC
Nice paintwork - I particularly like the shot where you are holding it in your hand, as its otherwise is hard to judge how big it is.

I am not really experienced in this scale - but have a sowremenny on hold - would it be realistic using pre- and postshading while airbrushing it ?

What kind of setting are you planning on ?

Cheers/Jan
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi, Jan!
Indeed I do use the pre-shading effect on this one. As you can see from the paiting sequence, I have applied an all-over coat of dark grey (which is the deck colour). I have clouded over the light grey paint to the hull to cause some wear effect. Of cause you can emphasise this more heavily, but I like the ships in next-to-prestine condition.
As well, I have taken care to not let the light grey paint carry completely into all recesses. In the last picture above I have used some oil paint to emphasise the vent grills and some of the surface structure.
Pre-shading is certainly do-able for scale models this size.

For setting I have thought about doing something quite converse to the agitated sea of the "Perfect Storm" project. (See Fleetmanouvers/Campaign "Devine Waterline").
I will probably show the ship while depolying the ROV with her rigid boats set out and maybe some divers in the water. Sea settig should be clam with very transparet water. I plan on using "Ilse-Water". You'll find it over at "Devine Waterline" as soon as I set it off.

Cheers,
Guido

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hallo Guido

Thanks for another great update!
The Minesweeper from L'Arsenal is a really nice model and you can make a very compact scene in a small area
Looking forward for more updates
Tschuss
Rui
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC
Wonderful progress Guido.
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
Really nice work so far. Love the shot of you holding it, really gives an impression of the size.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
Very nice looking thus far. I might have to write this one down in my "Soft Stash".

Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

I have been continuing the build by cleaning and painting all parts and details this week. Among the more prominent and evident developments are the foremast

the PAP and the Falcon (ROV)

and the decals on the hull.

The mast turned out to be a bit on the fiddly side, but finally I managed to understand the instruction sketch. A couple of small parts “pinged” into kingdom come so I replaced them by scratch built parts and added a few “instruments” myself. If you turn down the pressure of your airbrush enough they even stay where they are supposed to be.

The PAP are supplied by the kit and have very nice PE fins. These took a bit of holding my breath, but in the end worked out fine. The Falcon is scratch build after some photos on the net.

The decaling was surprisingly painless: I added a thick layer of gloss coat (Revell) and let it dry overnight. The decals are in good register and the film is pretty thin, but wouldn’t break even under my decal-hating hands. A bit of Mr. Decal-Setter made them snuggle down nicely. I let them dry for 24 hours before adding a thick layer of matt clear coat No bobbles no silvering no visible film edge: It seems I am finally making my peace with decals.

I have taken shots of all the prepared parts, but you can’t see a lot of detail so I safe the effort at this time and post later progress shots that will illustrate these parts a lot nicer.

I have selected a fitting board for the base and will start the base within the next couple of days.

Questions for the experts:
1. Where does the French navy run her colours while being underway?
2. Which flag signal will indicate “ongoing work with explosives”?
3. Which flag signal will indicate “divers in the water”?
4. Will the boats be sent out to secure a perimeter when an explosive device is about to be set off? I seem to remember having seen the Germany navy do so in a TV report. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hallo Guido

Nice work, as usual
Answer to question 3: Alpha Flag, although when divers are on small boats the "Four Flag" is usually seen (scuba divers)

Cheers,
Rui
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
Awesome work on that etched fret - I'm going cross-eyed just looking at it!
tmccall
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
The national colours would be flown from a halyard on the main mast while underway. When at anchor or alongside, the national colours would be flown from the ensign staff aft and a national jack would be flown from the jackstaff forward.

Flag bravo would be used to indicate that the ship is working with or discharging explosives. Although seeing a flag bravo hoisted in conjunction with flag alpha would be an extreme rarity as divers would be recovered prior to explosives being used. A more appropriate flag hoist for mine warfare work would be Papa Bravo - minesweeping for mine clearance operations in progress. Hope this helps.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The national colours would be flown from a halyard .....would be Papa Bravo - minesweeping for mine clearance operations in progress. Hope this helps.

Cheers Tom and Rui!
That's just what I needed!
Guido
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

I have continued my build by starting the water base.
Please visit the campaign "Devine Waterline" to follow up this process.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/144829&page=5

Cheers,
Guido
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
In continue the sea scape at:
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/144829&page=6
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
Gentlemen –

In with the last week I have been taking care of the water display. This time I used a Silicone method which is basically modified Ilse-Water.

After being half-way satisfied with the result, I continued to add detail. Most of it is parts of the kit some is added according to the reference found for the Persee on the net.

All the assembly was so painless I hardly know what I should write.
Now I had decided to add the latest sweeping gear which necessitates the construction of the fitting equipment container, which is to be placed aft of the funnel house. I drew it on Photoshop and printed it on 120gr/m² paper. After building the basic container I infused highly liquid superglue for stability and added surface detail such as doors, hatches and a ladder.

Then I went on to building the guidance cable rig for the Falcon ROV.

TBC

Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Halo Guido!

Looking good!
I also like the "trick" for making the container... Just Print It
Keep up - you're almost there (I think)

Tschuss,
Rui
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Rui-
Thanks!
I'll need another evenning the wrap up the build. Should I post here or send you(or Mark) the final shots for the front page update?
Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rui-
Thanks!
I'll need another evenning the wrap up the build. Should I post here or send you(or Mark) the final shots for the front page update?
Guido

Hallo Guido, you can send them my way
Danke,
Rui
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
Will do!
Guido
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 09:10 PM UTC
Gentlemen-

With a little tweaking I was able to finish and paint the Falcon ROV rig and the container within about an hour. Unfortunately, I can’t make my own PE, as the rig would be a great item to be done in that medium. Anyway, .5mm square rod would have to make do in my case. Surely, quite a bit of detail got lost on the way.

With the rig and container the aft decks got a lot more crowded instantly.

I made fenders (stored on the funnel house) by dipping a styrene rod repeatedly into white glue. When the glue was almost dry, I pushed them into a drop-shape. When fully dried. I painted then signal orange with a black top. They are inconsistently shaped and sized, but I think it doesn’t really disturb the scene. The only things left now were to add railings, antennae, crew and rigging. A bit of pencil dust weathering added some more “character” to the model.
I was able to reconfirm “Reply/Papa/Bravo” flag signal for ongoing mine sweeping manoeuvres. A big “Thanks” to Rui and Tom for their help!!!
I followed David Griffith’s tip to use cigarette paper as flags. I did use crayons instead of acrylic paint. However, I should try acrylics next time around.

I have submitted photos for the front page news to Rui.
Please expect them in the near future.

Cheers,
Guido
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
Beautiful work Guido!
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 09:28 PM UTC
Thanks, Kenny!
This was a very nice and easy project!
Cheers,
Guido
Tareko
Visit this Community
Portugal
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:35 PM UTC
Awesome Guido!
I am scratch building one rc model 1:50 and I will try to recreate some of this details. Feel free to see it on http://www.ptnauticmodel.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3574
You have to register first

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP