_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
IJN Heavy Cruiser, Maya
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
MSW Crew-mate Kym Knight (Rab) shares one of his latest builds with us in this MSW Build Story, take a long look at his fabulous build of the IJN Heavy Cruiser, Maya!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 05:33 AM UTC
Excellence was Expected. Your photography skills match your kit building ones. The reflection of the ship on the water is a stunning effect. I love the use of little people. I've got tons of those guys courtesy of kits i have bought. While i've painted them, I still have yet to use them.

Is this the same diorama base you have used previously for your Truk dioramas or is this a new one. If so, where on earth do yu put all this stuff or are you wealthy and live in some gigantic mansion. I have a three bedroom house and share it with a German Shepherd Dog, but even i don't have that much room unless i kick my Mustang GT out of the Garage.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
A excellent build and excellent photography to make this a great looking ship.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Bravo, Kym! That's why I look forward to your works, they're so photo-realistic.

What did you use for the water?

--Karl
loucar
Visit this Community
Malta
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 53 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Bravo Kym....what a superb build in every aspect....you couldn't have captured the point in time any better....my compliments to a very well executed job....
best regards
louis
Malta
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments, guys. There are a few more that have been submitted which I hope you like.

Quoted Text

Is this the same diorama base you have used previously for your Truk dioramas or is this a new one

Steve, this is a completely new dio scene with a lot more of the island base shown, I'm even in the process of extending it another 1.5 meters to accommodate more ships and more of the Islands.

Quoted Text

where on earth do yu put all this stuff

When I bought my house, the first thing I did was built a shed for my model workshop and display area. Though the display part is not fully completed (ceiling not insulated and plaster-boarded), one day I hope to be able to open it to the public.

Karl, the 'water' is quite simple. Sealed MDF board given 3 or 4 coats of a deep blue enamel paint followed by as many coats of a clear lacquer that I can get out of the tin, just to get that 'glassy' look. After a long drying period, cover the lot with generous coats of that Johnson's floor polish.

RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
The kit alone is stunning!

But then the water effect!

And the sunlight!!

I dream of being able to model like this......
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
A really incredible job. That first picture looks like it's taken of the actual ship. Bravo.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi Kym

Your usual type of work
I have one question/suggestion, if I am allowed to:
Question: Do you weather your ships with Pastels/Weathering Powders?
Suggestion: Have you considered doing it with Artists Oils?

The thing here is that you will get a more controlled type of rust running and you can make more convincing (IMHO) weathering effects with the Artists Oils. You can even get, once you master the technique, to make different hues of the same color

Example from my latest work, with weathering made only with artists oils:

Apologize my "boldness"
But I think, that even with a little more time using this technique, it would improve even more your models and displays

Cheers (and taking cover)
Rui
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
Beautiful work Kym!
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Apologize my "boldness

Definitely no need to apologize Rui, in fact, I am acutely aware that my weathering leaves a lot to be desired. I tried using oils once and it was a dismal failure, either the wrong type of paints or my inability to understand the procedure. At the moment I'm using a combination of Pro- Modeler's Weathering Wash with MIG Pigments 'Old Rust'. If you know of any on-line video tutorials I could watch concerning the proper mixing & application of artists oils over enamel paint, I'd be very appreciative.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Definitely no need to apologize Rui, in fact, I am acutely aware that my weathering leaves a lot to be desired. I tried using oils once and it was a dismal failure, either the wrong type of paints or my inability to understand the procedure. At the moment I'm using a combination of Pro- Modeler's Weathering Wash with MIG Pigments 'Old Rust'. If you know of any on-line video tutorials I could watch concerning the proper mixing & application of artists oils over enamel paint, I'd be very appreciative.

Hi Kym

Actually this is something I can do - just give me a little time
The trick is Not to Give Up!

I had an explanation of a club member several years ago, using a similar technique for figures (face, hands - well the flesh parts) and adapted it for my rust method.
I guess I can do a tutorial on it, using photos and film....

Cheers,
Rui
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC
That would be super. I have almost never weathered my ships for fear of making them look kind of fake. I tried it once and really didn't like it. I do it on my tanks, so the next step is to play with the ships. Problem is a $40 tank verses a $150 ship.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would be super. I have almost never weathered my ships for fear of making them look kind of fake. I tried it once and really didn't like it. I do it on my tanks, so the next step is to play with the ships. Problem is a $40 tank verses a $150 ship.

LOL you are saying my ships look fake, Steve???
Joking with you...
The thing is for practice on cheap models. For instance the Akula dio, where I tried for the second time a "realistic" full hull weathering was a approximately US$6.00
So even if I ruined it, it wouldn't be a great loss. Now I am more confident to go further

I'll do the tutorial on how I do it soon, so please have a little patience.

Cheers,
Rui
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The thing is for practice on cheap models.

Now that's the thing, I don't have the cheap kits, money or time to invest in practicing. As it is, I'll have to live till I'm 145 to finish my stash. But if you can do an easily explainable 'how to', applying it to one of my $300 plastic or resin kits shouldn't be a problem. One thing to remember for me is, that I only use enamel paints for the base colour.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Me too Kym!
I prefer the enamels over acrylics, which I must also recognize that I use most for the water base coloring!

If you take a look at this: MSW Artist Profile~Rui Matos you will not find too many cheap models and it was here that I started the experiments. Actually you can see the evolution of the weathering.

To be completely honest, my first try at weathering with oils was the Amati 1/72 U-47 submarine! It turned out really good (the weathering, not the paint scheme!!!). At that time 1996 US$200.00 represented a very big chunk of my pay check!

As for the stash issue... considering I have 100+ (I am being modest here) and that I am able to finish 3 to 4 models per year... I am going to live longer than you

Cheers guys - I'll make an effort to see if I can make a nice and fast one for you, during this week!
Rui
 _GOTOTOP