Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
HMS Victory, How to....................
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
Model Shipwrights: 451 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 04:38 AM UTC
How to what? I thought that you guys may like to know the different techniques I used in building my 1/72 Victory diorama.Mine is a little different in that it is a storyboard diorama.It is the only ship diorama that I have ever done and wish I could do more.Other type dioramas have keep me real busy for the last ten years and I still have some promised work to do for the next few years(I am 69).I sure wish that there were digital cameras around in my day so that I could have done a step-by-step build at the time of her construction but this is the best I can do under the circumstances .
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
Model Shipwrights: 451 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
First before I begin.

In my opinion,HMS Victory,by Noel CL Hackney is the best by far as a guide to the step by step rigging of this ship and other English ships-of-the-line.It was written by a modeler for other modelers .I have all the other books on modeling Victory but this little book, that I paid $1.98 for new in a hobby store 35 years ago ,is the best.Unfortunately they now only come up on the secondary market and only occasionally and they want up to $150.00 bucks for it.There are only 7 libraries in the world that stock it and there was only one printing made in the English language in 1970,the others are in German.If anyone knows how to put a little pressure on the owners of the rights to this book,please do so. Mr Hackney was foremost a modeler and he went to a lot of effort to make sure this information was available to modelers.I am sure that he would be very unhappy today to see the price that modelers have to pay and to whom the money is going.I am sure that in his lifetime it wasn't him.
Check it out on the web ISBN 0 85059 053 1.

I personally used his book over a 30 year period when building my own Victory and I don't think that I would have finished it as easily or as accurately as I did without it.It is a real shame that it will not be available to future modelers.And no I am not selling mine.Thanks Noel!
MrMidnight78
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First before I begin.

In my opinion,HMS Victory,by Noel CL Hackney is the best by far as a guide to the step by step rigging of this ship and other English ships-of-the-line.It was written by a modeler for other modelers .I have all the other books on modeling Victory but this little book, that I paid $1.98 for new in a hobby store 35 years ago ,is the best.Unfortunately they now only come up on the secondary market and only occasionally and they want up to $150.00 bucks for it.There are only 7 libraries in the world that stock it and there was only one printing made in the English language in 1970,the others are in German.If anyone knows how to put a little pressure on the owners of the rights to this book,please do so. Mr Hackney was foremost a modeler and he went to a lot of effort to make sure this information was available to modelers.I am sure that he would be very unhappy today to see the price that modelers have to pay and to whom the money is going.I am sure that in his lifetime it wasn't him.
Check it out on the web ISBN 0 85059 053 1.

I personally used his book over a 30 year period when building my own Victory and I don't think that I would have finished it as easily or as accurately as I did without it.It is a real shame that it will not be available to future modelers.And no I am not selling mine.Thanks Noel!

you wouldn't happen to know how to scan a book properly? then others could use the wise guidance thats harder than rocking horse manure to get hold of.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:13 AM UTC
I want to see the pix of the dio. I have done one ship with the rigging and it actually turned out pretty good. Maybe one day I'll try another
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 03:29 AM UTC
Id be very interested in seeing your work, sir
 _GOTOTOP