_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 Midway (decomissioned)
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 782 posts
Model Shipwrights: 774 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC
this is Midway as she is now. scratchbuilding her for a friend. photos of the real thing and the model so far.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hey Mardis!

I work in the Exhibits Department on the Midway, so if you need data on the mods we have made since 2004 (including the first change to her silhouette in 30 years), let me know. If you are contemplating a diorama, I can get you the specs on the custom mooring platforms, the pier, the building next door, and even the portion of the harbor we now occupy.

--Karl
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC
BTW, Mardis, you will have to remove the armored engine test control room off the port side of the fantail--we cut that off in April 2004 to make more room for tables and chairs as that's where the Fantail Cafe is located. Likewise for the flat extensions on the starboard tip of the fantail--they're not there anymore. The Cafe has a service counter with a transparent food cabinet in the center which spans the bay formed by the bulkheads that contain the jet engine repair shop.

--Karl
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, Mardis, you will have to remove the armored engine test control room off the port side of the fantail--we cut that off in April 2004 to make more room for tables and chairs as that's where the Fantail Cafe is located. Likewise for the flat extensions on the starboard tip of the fantail--they're not there anymore. The Cafe has a service counter with a transparent food cabinet in the center which spans the bay formed by the bulkheads that contain the jet engine repair shop.

--Karl

Hi Karl, thanks for the offer , but this is going to a friend. by the way she's being built as the ship was decomissioned and painted at Oakland. here's a photo heading down to San Diego.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Yes, we took care of the vertical surfaces at Alameda, but the decks would still be severely weathered to model her in the fall-winter of 2003.

--Karl
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, we took care of the vertical surfaces at Alameda, but the decks would still be severely weathered to model her in the fall-winter of 2003.

--Karl

Hi Karl, enjoying this build very much. I just might do Midway the way she is now for myself.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

--Karl

Hi Karl, enjoying this build very much. I just might do Midway the way she is now for myself.

Good man.

--Karl
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:58 PM UTC
taking 4 days off. lots of heavy modeling on Midway and other builds. a new Midway hull might show up Monday. maybe!
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:15 PM UTC
bulkheads need to be made for the No.1 elevator ,but the hull is done. starboardside bulkheads for the island also need to be made. but hard part is over with. some photos . comments good or bad is welcome.
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC
one more thin slice of paper to be added to the blisters on both sides. hull has the primer on it. Midway has her shape I think? also found this photo.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC
Yep, that flight deck overhang is no exaggeration--it practically doubles the ship's breadth!

--Karl
Sammuel
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:15 AM UTC
I can not get over your work and mostly in card stock. Makes a guy like me want to live up to your modeling skills. I hope someday. Do you airbrush, spray can or brush paint your CV's? Sorry for the questions, just want to learn as much as I can from a master modeler.

Sam
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi Sam, I'm no master modeler. Far from it. I brush on the paint 3coats is used. Each coat is bake with a hand held hairdryer. I'll be adding the flightdeck tomorrow.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Thank you for the update. Very fine work. How do you get the scale of the model? Do you inlarge the prints? What type of planes do you go off of? I'm sure your research is very extensive.

If you had the time, this could turn into a great build log. The skill level would be very hard to match or copy.

Respectfully
Sam
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Karl, Sam. Hope you had a wonderful Xmas. Well I had to redo the flightdeck toget it right. The starboardside midship was too far in for the island placement. Sam mos of theinfo comes from alot of photos. Some photos for you to checkout. By the way this is a friend build ,he will be putting the ac's on deck.
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 05:40 PM UTC
i'm back ! have some updates in a couple weeks.
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:02 PM UTC
hi guys, it been awhile. had to work the BigE to get close to the finish line. anyway that had to stop because of a deadline I set for myself. The Midway had to be taken care of first before I finish the E. like I said before this is a project for a friend and I know he is looking forward to this. photos so far.portside overhang rebuilted bulkheads added on both starboard and port.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hey Mardis, she's really coming together! If you want to be thorough, the diving board-like projections on either side of the flight deck have a mesh decking.

Keep up the good work!

--Karl
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks Karl, do you have any idea were I can get some mesh? portside diving board has to be smaller. This weekend I'll start on the island,posting on Monday.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hi Mardis!

For all things mesh, I pay a call on our friends in the model railroad hobby. If there are any model RR shops in your region, you can find a wonderful array of photo-etch detail parts including assortments of grill work for locomotives and carriages that work on ships.

I use such things extensively when working on my 1:240 four stack destroyer collection. The RR stuff is much less expensive than purpose-made sets for those ships, though you have to use your imagination to see how the RR items can transform into ship fittings.

--Karl
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks Karl
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:43 PM UTC
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:45 PM UTC
hull and flightdeck are done just needs to tidy up on some bulkheads and walkarounds. started on the hardest part the island ,it is slow going.
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Karl, do you have any idea were I can get some mesh? portside diving board has to be smaller. This weekend I'll start on the island,posting on Monday.

Hey Mardis

I once got some very fine metal mesh (real mesh, not PE) from Work.

Both HLJ and Hobby Search (both are located in Japan) has some left, both most of it is discontiued

HLJ

Hobby Search
gtb-red
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 03:43 PM UTC
Midway island build up and painted flightdeck Monday.
 _GOTOTOP