_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 IJN Crusiers -1944
48modeler
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'm SLOWLY working on on Kurita's "Center Force" from Leyte in 350th. So far have two destroyers built and mounted on waterbase, and am in the process of rigging Aoshima ATAGO right now. Also started on Hasegawa (completely tricked out) Yahagi, which arrived just the other day (beautiful model)! Thanks to the rapidly expanding 350 lines, all of Kurita's BB's have now been produced (once again have, but yet to build)!

Does anybody know if Aoshima plans 1944 builds of the Myoko and Haguro? They did a fantastic job with the full compliment of 1942 and 1944 builds of the ATAGO class (have them all), so think they would follow suite with Moyoko class. Same goes for Tamiya plans for 1944 Suzuya and Kumano, building upon their Mogami class.

In researching with Lacroix"s (very heavy) Crusier book in hand, it appears that the bridge structures were somewhat different (especially true for later Mogami class), hence desire to not have to scratch build. Aftermarket upgrade sets would work too, if manufacturer don't plan to complete full class.

Hope to get Yahagi completed by the spring, in time for the local show. Eventually, would like to display the full "Center Force" in cruise formation during a show ten years from now (ha)! Gotta have a goal in mind!

Normally an aircraft builder, the sexy yet brute line of IJN crusiers got me hooked! Hope I don't go blind doing these builds!
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
Actually, Myoko is very simple to update to a 1944 version. All you need is the extra triple and single 25's plus some minor scratch-building of a gun tub. I also scratch-built the 4 deck triple 25 tubs then noticed that there are 4 left over on one of the sprues. The first pic shows the updated AA layout and the rest are of what I did to mine.

Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
I almost forgot the radars. Here are the photo's of the aftermarket Lion Roar radars in position.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:38 AM UTC
Man Kym...you do a super job with those rigging things around the funnels (Jack stays--?) I tried it once on something and gave up due to the delicacy and my fat fumbling fingers I'm getting ready to start the Akagi under deck stuff and i'm nervous
48modeler
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:09 AM UTC
Wow! That Looks great! I didn't realize that the bridge structure stayed the same, except the few AAA mods. Looks pretty straight forward. What photoetch did you use?

Thanks for the assist!
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What photoetch did you use?

I used Aoshima's piss-poor attempt at a set. I ended up supplementing it with Lion-Roar, KA Models, Voyager and my very large box of spares. I've just sent Gunny a feature on the finished builds of Myoko and the Yahagi so they should be coming up in the next few weeks.
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hey 48modeller, when do we get to see pics of your centre force?

Kym - always a pleasure to see your work
 _GOTOTOP