_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
Yamato, in 1/350 Scale
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 11:18 PM UTC
MSW crew-mate Kym Knight (Rab) continues to dazzle us with his top quality builds, this time, it's Yamato in 1/350 scale, in this "On Display" feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC
Let me see if I can get my comment to make sense. It is one thing to build ships fast, but another to do such a great job on them. I wish I had a 1/10th of the production you have Kym.

Thank you for sharing your recent builds with us, I am looking forward to seeing more.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC
Just fantastic! Great setup, build, composition.... even the background fits in perfectly.
cheers
loucar
Visit this Community
Malta
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
HI Kym
Fantastic stuff mate.....a really nice build...I wish I could fly over down under and spend a week in your Models room.....awesome my friend
I am presently doing the Yamato in 1/350 scale as well...needs a bit more work...hopefully it will be finished in two months time approx...in time for our expo...
again brilliant stuff Kym
Take care and best regards
Louis
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
Kym, that anchorage of yours sure gets a lot of action!

--Karl
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
Great job as usual. Love the wooden deck. I've done 2 Yamatos so far. One in final configuration about 22 years ago and a couple of years back i did her up in inital config.

Thought she looked a wee bit too rusted for the flagship, but then when i read she was in prep to go on the final mission it made sense.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 01:00 PM UTC
Wonderful job Kym.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kym, that anchorage of yours sure gets a lot of action!

--Karl

Your not kidding Karl and until I purchase another back board to extend the skyline, that position for photography is about the only place where complete scenery fits in the picture. There is a major extension happening due to the constant new releases being put out on the market to tempt me.
I think there is another 3 or 4 IJN ships to be added to this site soon and your sure going to get sick of the background view.
BTW, here's a couple of photo's of the overall construction so-far and as you can see, quite a way to go.

Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job as usual. Love the wooden deck. I've done 2 Yamatos so far. One in final configuration about 22 years ago and a couple of years back i did her up in inital config.

Thought she looked a wee bit too rusted for the flagship, but then when i read she was in prep to go on the final mission it made sense.

Steve, My initial idea was to convey a visual mood for the viewer of the IJN's desperation towards the end of the war. Ships in need of major overhauls, but couldn't, men in need of rest, but couldn't. Basically, that used and abused look that comes from the knowledge of certain defeat.
Deep, hey!!!!!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Love the extended version of the scene

Great job and spot on with the "mood" portrayed.

And I am personally very jealous at all that space you have!

Thanks for sharing this great work, cheers
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Model Shipwrights: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
Very impressive! I love the whole layout, all the ships, the island... everything! That's awesome that you have so much space to spread things out like that.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 07:32 AM UTC
I've onlky seen one diorama that big. A dozen guys got together to portray a German truck column going through Holland in the early part of the war. There must have been close to 150 figures and 50 vehichles. It won at the Nationals that year. They fixed folding legs under it so It could be transported. Problem was after the show everyone wanted their trucks and things back. I sure was glad to have known the guys and been able to take tons of photo's

I plan to take a trip to Austrailia some time. I definitely expect a tour. Heard Aussie women love us. I'm southern so don't call me a yank
 _GOTOTOP