_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
USS Missouri
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC
MSW Crew-member Louis Carabott [loucar] takes us along for a cruise with the Mighty Mo as she goes "In Harms Way" looking for the enemy, in this "On Display" feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 118 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
Nice one!

I just don't get how you guys manage all that PE / detailing art. I just need to look at small parts, and they bend the other way.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Beautiful work Louis!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
Maybe its the lighting or the way the camera interpretted the color, but i think the decks and upper surface should be a bluish color rather than grey. I don't have the specific color but i think most of the warships during mid to late WW2 used a bluish stain on the decks
loucar
Visit this Community
Malta
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
You are very right steve....Actually the decks are painted with in gray bluish tint...I am not a good photographer...so there's the result...grey :):)....I try different lighting and I end up with different colours of the same model :):)
Take care and best regards
Louis

Malta
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hey Louis!

As a fellow 1:350 fan, I am especially impressed with your water effects--it can be tough (for me anyway) to make the sea look so realistic in the larger scales.

--Karl

P. S. That's a mighty impressive flight line in the background as well; if the aircraft were real, you'd be a power in the central Mediterranean!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 06:20 AM UTC
Very nice work on the Big Mo. I'm also impressed with the aircraft display in the background.
loucar
Visit this Community
Malta
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi all
Thanks for your kind comments about my model. Yes Used to do 1/72 scale aircraft a while ago ..I have a collection of about 200 of them. I do figurines as well. I also used to build 1/72 scale aircraft dioramas always with wartime Malta as a theme I've got about 6 of them at the Malta aviation museum...they r too large to keep at home.
I started modelling ships about 5 years ago and that was it...I got hooked....they are my passion...
Karl I sculpt the seascape using just common toilet paper :):) and diluted pva glue and finish it off with a layer of creamy pollyfilla....then it's just household pain....t
Will soon finish the Yamato and hope to post som e pics of the build....
Best regards
Louis
Thanks again
Louis
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 10:18 AM UTC
That's a remarkable result with toilet paper!

For the carrier campaign I will be turning to a Malta Spitfire delivery scene...I just need several dozen 1:350 Spitfires!

--Karl
loucar
Visit this Community
Malta
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:52 AM UTC
Karl You can have a look at my model of the Illustrious in 1/400 scale in this site.....It has spits on....I scratchbuilt one and made a mould and a friend of mine casted quite a few in white metal....they will do for a 1/350 scale project..I am quite certain of that.....You gave to scrtacbuilt the undercarriage...If you want I can mail you one and you can do the rest....they need a bit of cleaning , but they will do....
just say the word friend
best regards
Louis
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi Louis!

That's a generous offer--I located a retailer in Britain who advertised resin Spits in 1:350 but he hasn't replied to my inquiry in a month.

I've been meaning to try out RTV molding and the Malta project is the perfect project, so let me take a wack at it first and then we'll see about the 1:400 mold.

Thanks!

--Karl
loucar
Visit this Community
Malta
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Karl no problem I will mail you a couple u have to give me your address though....you can email me on [email protected] and like so we can keep your address private....
always glad to help a fellow modeller
best regards
Louis
 _GOTOTOP