_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
APPROVED~Stand by Torpedoes!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

I'm proud and excited to announce that yet ANOTHER great MSW Campaign has hit the "Approved" status!!

This one is extra special as it is a true cross genre campaign, with some of our mates from Aeroscale signing on as well!!

There's PLENTY of room for lots more builders too, so sign on below and get ready to build a model with your mates!

Cheers,
~Gunny

Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC
Gentlemen-

Thank you for your participation and Welcome to my first campaign. While there is a lot information and good advice about running a show, I am still a newbie and I kindly ask you to bear with me and my inadequacies as a campaign leader. I am surely looking forward to personal growth in this respect as much as I do look forward to your (hopefully) detailed project reports.

As described in the campaign cover sheet, all will revolve around the torpedo. I sure hope that we will get to see a great variety ranging from 700th scale weekend projects to big-a** and complex dioramas (even though the campaign duration may be somewhat short for the latter).
I sure have a whole bag full of ideas already and I am not so certain, what I will actually get started with.

Let us hear about your project and how your choice was motivated. I – personally would love to have a little bit of information about your subject, story, historical significance, tech data, whatever you would like to share with us.
Quite often we participate in campaigns and we get to see great craftsmanship and spectacular models, but rarely do we get to learn about the subject itself. I surely hope to learn some new techniques from the wingnuts and some input form the figure-painting faction

I am looking forward to a lot of interesting discussions and friendly ramblings.

Cheers,
Guido
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
I am in.... just don't know what is going to be... Probably a sub (99% sure)

Rui
Tigerbait
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
I'm in with a sub (type VII or Los Angeles class attack sub) or the revell S boat
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am in.... just don't know what is going to be... Probably a sub (99% sure)

Rui

Welcome, Rui!
Let's say that your choice of subject does not fully come as a surprise!

Welcome, Todd!
Glad to have you both aboard.

Guido
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Im in too, who can say no to anything with torpedoes

If I can find the money for it, I hope to do a WMM "Falke" - otherwise I have a A-type japanese minisub thats needs to be build.

Cheers/Jan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:19 PM UTC
G'day Guys, I've just snuck over as an "exchange student" from Aeroscale to drop a shameless plug for a campaign I have starting on November 1, 2010, which is by pure coincidence the day this campaign finishes !

Anti-Shipping Campaign Enlistment Page

I have enlisted in this Shipwrights Campaign and I am looking forward to having a go at my first boat/ship build ever !! Maybe some of you guys would like to join my campaign and try your hand at a Wingy-Thingy ??

Now down to serious business, can I please get some advice on what is good and bad in the world of MTB or S-Boats, remembering that I am a complete novice at ship-building !!
And no, I am not looking at the Italeri monster recently released, my wife would most definitely kill me if I turned up with that one !!

Cheers, Damian
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi, Damian!
Glad to have you aboard. I had seen your campaign before and I still consider participating. I will have to do a background check to see, if I can use one of the kits on my shelf for said purpose.

I have taken a look at your photo collection (lovely stuff; too many wings, tough! ) I reckon you would probably be more comfortable with a 72nd than a 350th or a 700thscale model. Is that correct?

The following standard kits will qualify for this campaign and are of OK to very good quality. None of these is a real dog, even though some suffer from vintage problems such as the Revell PT. I reckon that you are able to cope with a couple of challenges. For most of these you will be able to find add on parts or detail sets in resin and PE:

Revell 1/72 S-100
Revell 1/72 S-100 with Flak 38
Revell 1/72 PT-109
Revell 1/72 PT-117
Revell 1/72 Vosper MTB (70tf)
Aifix 1/72 E-Boat
Aifix 1/72 Vosper MTB (73tf)
Tamiya 1/72 Perkasa
Revell 1/144 Schnellboot Klasse 143 (=Torpedo version) will be allowed even though you may argue that the Excocet may be considered the primary version.

Off the beaten track are the following kits. I can’t comment on their quality.

Intervia 1/72 Tupolev G-5 Soviet WWII
AER Model Studio 1/144 Lewis Nixon Torpedo Boat

If you want to go bigger: you may consider:
Italeries 1/35 PT boat or their 1/35 S-100. Both may be a bit big for a short campaign such as this.
The 55’ Thornycroft in 1/35 by YS Masterpieces is certainly a jewel, but comes at the cost of a jewel, too.

Well, this is what comes to mind at the top of my head. You can find a lot of information when you google the above models/subjects. Before looking out for aftermarket stuff ry to find a subject first and then we can go into detail.
Need more advice/info? Just holler!

Cheers,
Guido

Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im in too, who can say no to anything with torpedoes

If I can find the money for it, I hope to do a WMM "Falke" - otherwise I have a A-type japanese minisub thats needs to be build.

Cheers/Jan

Uhhhh! I would love to see a Falke here! There's another kit that wasn't in my list for Damian!
Cheers,
Guido
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:16 AM UTC
Guido, many thanks for your kind words and advice. I know I can get the Airfix 1/72 Vosper easily, but I have found a 1/64th Lindberg PT-109. Any comments on this kit?

Cheers, D
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
I might do the 1/72 Japanese mini sub I have.

Sounds like a wide variety so far.

Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guido, many thanks for your kind words and advice. I know I can get the Airfix 1/72 Vosper easily, but I have found a 1/64th Lindberg PT-109. Any comments on this kit?

Cheers, D

Damian,

Check 'ere!
Click
http://www.steelnavy.com/gallery_transports.htm
and locate (Crtl +F) "109"
Here you can at least see, what the built kit looks like. I think you could ask T.Garth Connely here on modelshipswrights: He's the resident guru for military small craft and I should think that he knows all them kits. I haven't been able to loacte any real review so far.
I found a forum where they made fun about "seemingly having trouble to locate the kit inside the flash", but I reckon that depends on what you are used to. I would hate to have your first ship-project be hampered by frustration. As such I should recommend the Airfix kit, which is despite its age very nice. A member of my club built one a few moons back:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/ships/spahrvosp.htm

I hope this helps!

Guido
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thanks again Guido, I also found the negative comments on the Lindberg kit. I think I will go with the Vosper, and in fact I prefer the look of that kit over the PT-109 anyway, a bit "busier" but I think still achievable for me as a first try at Ships.

Cheers, D
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
Just trying to be a good hoast!
I look very much forward to see what you can do!
Cheers, mate!
Guido
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC
I have a box of 1/700 PT boats that I wil build but not in a dio. I plan to have them intermixed with my fleets in random locations
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a box of 1/700 PT boats that I wil build but not in a dio. I plan to have them intermixed with my fleets in random locations

That'll do nicely!
Guido
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
Here are a couple other suggestions. Squadron has Mirage Hobby 1/400 kits of a German WWI and a Polish torpedo boats. I've got a gun boat from them that is similar in size. They are small and quick builds. They might make a good change of pace.

Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are a couple other suggestions. Squadron has Mirage Hobby 1/400 kits of a German WWI and a Polish torpedo boats. I've got a gun boat from them that is similar in size. They are small and quick builds. They might make a good change of pace.

Of cause there are tons and tons more...
I was just speculating that Damian would prefer to go with big scale (144th/72th/35th) for a first ship project.
The Mirage kits are - no doubt - very nice kits! You can have a look at one being built by Kenny in the WWI campaign.

I am happy to see more and more guys siging in.

Cheers,
Guido
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:07 AM UTC
I am definitely in!

Thnx,
Gary
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 06:35 AM UTC
Al right! I'm drawn over from the wingers.... I've been looking for a reason to do another ship after I finish Lindberg's cheesy USS Manchester (painted to look like the Duluth for a friend whose dad served on that ship).

I'll be purchasing AFV Club's IJN I-58 Sub with Kaiten, I think.

Has anyone built this?

edit - ordered it from Lucky Model already. Along with a Staghound, but that's for another forum.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:10 PM UTC
Welcome Scott and Gary!
We'll be looking forward to your contributions!
Don't forget: torpedo bombers will be highly welcome, too!
Guido
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
Alright, Gentlemen!
I am certain that we will see a lot of great stuff here.
Even though neither ship was ever used in its intended function, it is rather easy to imagine what could have happened, if one of them had successfully snuck into a convoy: 40 long lance torpedoes unleashed at once. From one ship! Total havoc!
IMHO, there can’t be a torpedo-campaign without one of the Japanese torpedo cruisers OI and KITAKAMI, each – as build – carrying 10 quadruple torpedo launchers.
So, I will officially tackle my first “serious” IJN subject with this campaign.
I’ll use the RitRoad/SkyWave 1/700 OI kit as designed (with open torpedo mounts) and a bag of Lion Roar and other detail sets.
Cheers,
Guido
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hi Guido!
I am late to the party but would love to join and already enlisted

As for the "what", depends how fast (slow) I clear the deck of pending GB builds. I have some 1:700 ARII modern subs to build in my queue, will add another LA Class as the main subject. If I have the time, I may try my hand at one a 1:400 Mirage Torpedo Boat.

Not sure how much "original" information I can bring to the table for LA class subs; even though I visit Groton, CT couple times a year on official US Navy business, I doubt they will let me sneak into the pens and take a few sub pics (I did, ahem, try once to "get lost" on purpose and enter the lower base where the subs are located. I think I lasted 20 seconds before some MAs came over and nicely pointed me away from the area. Yes, I was wearing my uniform. )

Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
HI, James!
Glad to have you aboard!
Guido

PS.: Please try not to get lost for real! TIA
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:11 AM UTC
Guido
Any chance of the banner being put in the gallery so I can copy to my home page fly the flag for the campaign
 _GOTOTOP