_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
WEM set for Bismarck question
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hi guys....need some input here....

just noticed that LHS brought a few WEM set including the bimarck set (WEM 3529)

i have revell bismarck in my stash.. i know that the WEM set is designed for Tamiya's Bismarck...
Revell's kit, as they said is far more modern and 'superior' that the tamiya's and i dont have the chance to work on tamiya's bismarck.

so is it worth every penny to get the set for my revell kit instead of getting eduard set (LHS dont stock much of eduard ships PE)

for me, any PE set is worth it, if i managed to used at least 70% of it...

thanks and appreciate your input...

regards,

Zaidi
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 09:45 PM UTC
I made the mistake of using a PE set for the Tamiya Bismarck on the Academy version. It worked, but I had to do some trimming and other things that may have detracted a bit. Advice is to go with the set made for the kit. Mail order works just as well other than time.
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 12:36 PM UTC
The WEM set works just fine with the Revell kit--we've sold dozens for use with the Revell kit have had nary a complaint or question. You just need the basic set (PE 3529) and not the deck plate set (PE 3565).
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The WEM set works just fine with the Revell kit--we've sold dozens for use with the Revell kit have had nary a complaint or question. You just need the basic set (PE 3529) and not the deck plate set (PE 3565).

Thanks John for your answer..gee i didnt expect to get answer from WEM overhere...amazing the crowd in MSW...
Anyway, since LHS is giving good discount on the 3529 set, i think i wanna grab it... but the reason i asked mainly that i'm afraid that most of the part wont be used much on the kit. My previous experiences on working with PE set that were not designed for specific kit, resulted in many of the parts were not used...once i bought a set and only used 20% of the whole set....
so Mr John, can i used the 3529 set and i can get most of the parts (at least 70%)..?/

thanks once again..really appreciate any reply..

regards,

Zaidi
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
I would expect you'll use up to 90% or more of the set.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would expect you'll use up to 90% or more of the set.

very well then...thanks sir...
 _GOTOTOP