_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
USS California
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 04:16 AM UTC
MSW crew-mate David J. Salvin shares a gallery of images and build details of his USS California, in this Build Story feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 05:05 AM UTC
let me be the first to say ....you made a silk purse out of a sows ear. I am not a fan of resin. I have built an enire kit and while the parts were fine, the directins were major stinko. I also have done tons of conversion/upgrade parts with a fair amount of success. You really did a great job overcoming all the obstacles you did. Thsi ship is number one on my list of 350 injection kits i want....as the Littorio is in the works from Trumpeter.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
I have to echo Steve, Dave, you made a silk's pulse out of a sow's ear. I wouldn't be reluctant to criticize a kit. If it walks like a dog, barks like a dog, and smells like a dog, it's a dog and you should let others know about it. Especially if the company that was happy to take your money isn't willing to give you what you paid for.

That aft mast does seem a bit short to me also. Looking at a drawing of the "Raisin Barge" it seems the after mast was a bit shorter, but this seams to be more than just a bit. Another issue seems to be the 5" anti-aircraft guns. They look much too large to me, and not just the bore but the overall size of the gun and mount.

While the California isn't number one on my list of injection molded 1/350 scale kits, that honor still goes to HMS Warspite, she is certainly on the short list.

_GOTOTOP