_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
USS Saratoga
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
MSW Crew-mate Kostas Katseas shares his latest build in this "On Display" Feature, this time, the USS Saratoga in all of her glory!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Just double checking that this is 1-700 and not 1-350 and straight away congratulations on a superb build, I don't normally like carriers, but this is outstanding, I just can't work out how you've managed to make the island and stack look so huge, I don't mean from a model point of view but in the realistic sort of way, I can look at your ship and judge with spreading hands its about --------- way big ---------------- and I know its not, I'm not sure what I mean, its either the way you have built it, or painted it, done something or other that makes this look much bigger then it is, its a great looking subject, would love to see some real close up's
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just double checking that this is 1-700 and not 1-350 and straight away congratulations on a superb build, I don't normally like carriers, but this is outstanding, I just can't work out how you've managed to make the island and stack look so huge, I don't mean from a model point of view but in the realistic sort of way, I can look at your ship and judge with spreading hands its about --------- way big ---------------- and I know its not, I'm not sure what I mean, its either the way you have built it, or painted it, done something or other that makes this look much bigger then it is, its a great looking subject, would love to see some real close up's

Definitely 1/700, mate...look at the size of the Bic lighter!
That's one of Kostas' many talents, making the most realistic come alive in miniature....
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 03:34 AM UTC
Wow, really nice Kostas. All of the little vignettes make it seem really alive.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
Beautiful work Kostas!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
Outstanding! I also thought at first this was 1/350. After dealing with only three 1/700 scale aircraft for my USS Hornet, and only in two colors and very simple makings, I can only say WOW at the views of your entire airwing, with multiple colors, multiple wings, cockpit details, stripes, etc. Just amazing. I'm also very impressed with the weathering and the rigging. Great Job.

I really, really want to do this ship in 1/350. I'm just balking at the price tag right now. She'll be making her way to my stash one of these days.

djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 06:26 AM UTC
Absolutely gorgeous!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
Really nioce job

Alec yes this was one of the early carriers and the stack was absolutly huge

Rodger....haunt ebay The price on these went up considerably from when i bought mine for right around $110. Course i got the Lady Lex and backdated her so I could get the brwon deck the 8 inchers, and the multi-colored aircraft. i had the buffaloes instead of the biplanes.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:10 AM UTC
I have the Sara in 1/350, got her for around $100. Now I just need to clear off my work bench and actually sit down to build her. Having her sit there for 2 years in the box is really getting at me.

If I could only motivate myself to do it.

And as always beautiful work Kostas!!! I can only dream of reaching that level of quality in 350, let alone 700.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC
Bears repeating.. .the results he gets in 700 are outstanding, always gorgeous work... thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP