_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Airfix 1:350 HMS Illustrious
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 01:31 PM UTC
Ahoy, ye maties!

The news desk is always hunting and gathering the breaking kitset and accessories news from all around the world.

Here is the latest and greatest details on the new release from Airfix.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:43 PM UTC
Every time I see reports on this kit I keep hoping it's going to be a WWII Illustrious. Still it is Airfix, which I have a soft spot for, it's British so nuff said, and it's 1/350. I just have to decide if I'm going to be all that excited to have a modern ship like this on the shelf. I suppose a lot will depend on the price, and the reviews it gets.

It's great news for the modern ship fans though.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
price was listed at approx 50 pounds. So us around 110 I guyess. It looks much less detailed then current offerings from Trumpeter and the Japanese issues. I am sure WEM will have a super PE set for it. Planes look a little crude, maybe Trumpy will have some Harriers
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC
From what I,ve seen on the Airfix stand at Telford last November and on the Airfix modellers club stand at huddersfield show this year. I,am sorry to say I was not impressed with the fit of parts or the detail on the models I saw, but these where test kits or so I was told maybe the production ones may have improved
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
I have to agree somewhat. The engraved lines on the aircraft were particularly bad. They would be overdone in 1/72, they just looked silly in 1/350.

Still, having said that, its a 350th lusty, and only 50 quid. Lets be honest, most will deck it out in ££££ of PE anyway.

EDIT: More pics and discussion here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45728

Panel lines don't look so bad in those photos
 _GOTOTOP