_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Display Cases...What?!!
ChrisCarter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC
I wanted to buy a display case and found this site called "Grandpa's Cabinets"...the prices for his 1/350 scale cases about made me choke!!!

http://www.grandpascabinets.com/1350-scale/vmchk.html

Check out the case 3rd from the top...I'm sorry but I'm not seeing $143 bucks there!!!...he also state these cases are "built in volume to offer the customer a DISCOUNT!" ...he must really think his time is worth more than the materials to build the thing...I hope this guy has a real job cuz he prolly don't sell many of those cases!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:23 AM UTC
Holy Moly!!!
Three times the price than I pay for mine up here in Canada.
I have a fellow who custom builds for my sub models and
charges $ 45.00 CDN for a 24x6x8 case....hardwood and acrylic.

I guess he won't be selling too many.

Cheers,
DaveHill
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC
I've visited Grandpa's Cabinets before and was blown away by the prices...I build my own cases so I know the cost of materials...he must factor in electricity, equipment usage, etc in addition to his labor...thank goodness I build my own!

Dave
ChrisCarter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...those cases look every bit as good as Gramps cases!, how much would you charge for somthing like that???, less than $143 bucks I hope
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Good looking cases.

I do a bit of woodworking, and those prices do seem to have a generous profit margin.
DaveHill
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the compliments!!!

Quoted Text

how much would you charge for somthing like that???,

Chris,

I've been asked that question before but unfortunately I build my cases only as I need them as I have no workshop...I work out of my garage where I need to remove our vehicles for the day then set up my tools to work so I have no way to set up to produce multiple cases...I hope someday to have a little workshop to work out of!!!

Dave
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC
I wonder what "Grandpa" cjharges for one big enough to fit the Nimitz in. That would have to be 40 x 1 x 12. Think $300.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC
There are those of us who aren't handy enough to build our own cases, who don't have the equipment or the space to build our own cases, or who'd rather build models and have someone else build the case.

Chris, I think it's a bit presumptuous of you say that you don't see $143 worth of case in the picture. Did you cut the wood? Did you router the edges? Did you cut the Plexiglas top, bend it to shape and then glue it all together?

I've bought several cases from Grandpa - who's real name is Ron. I met Ron at the 2008 Nationals in Virginia Beach, and could see that he was passionate about what he does and that he put a lot of pride into his work. Was a really nice gent, too.

When I need a case for the 1/350 USS Hornet (CV-12), I plan on buying from Ron, because I know I'll be getting a good product. It's worth it to me to spend the money on a quality base, something that I can't make myself.

If you think he's too much, then move along to another vendor. No need to tear anyone else down in the process.
ChrisCarter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy Moly!!!
Three times the price than I pay for mine up here in Canada.
I have a fellow who custom builds for my sub models and
charges $ 45.00 CDN for a 24x6x8 case....hardwood and acrylic.

I guess he won't be selling too many.

Cheers,

Quoted Text

I do a bit of woodworking, and those prices do seem to have a generous profit margin.

Quoted Text

If you think he's too much, then move along to another vendor. No need to tear anyone else down in the process.

Hey Martin, did you read ALL the posts????...I wasn't the only one with a big "?" about his prices!

Quoted Text

There are those of us who aren't handy enough to build our own cases,

With that...I'd say your just the kind of customer he's looking for!

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
I just bought 2 cases 41"X16"X9" and paid $200 Canadian each..
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Martin, did you read ALL the posts????...I wasn't the only one with a big "?" about his prices!

I guess if a bunch of people have the wrong facts then it's not incorrect?

He hand-builds his cases to order; you're paying for the craftsman's skills. He needs to set a price that will keep his business healthy and is not competing with the cheap, mass produced manufacturers that are out there.

I'm similar in a way; I do high-end IT consulting for a living. People can go out and hire GeekSquad for a lot less than my company charges, but I bring more skills and tools to the table. I provide better service. I haven't used Ron's product because I haven't FINISHED anything in far too long, but it would be extremely appealing to me to be able to call him up, give dimensions and wood preference, and not have to worry about anything else.

Not everyone can afford a Mercedes, but that doesn't mean that they're over-priced.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
Yes, I read all the posts. I specifically responded to yours and the "I don't see $143 of case there".

As Tracy said, while Ron does "standard" sizes, which will let him control material costs to some extent, each case is hand made - and that's what you are paying for.

I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". If you pay for cheap, you get cheap. If you pay for quality, you usually get quality.

So, yeah, maybe I am "just the type of customer he is looking for". That's okay with me - my 1/350 Lexington looks pretty nifty in the case Ron built for her.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 12:38 PM UTC
I'm not choosing sides here, but I want to give y'all a look at this from the maker's point of view.

Acrylic Sheet 24" x 48" x 1/8" - $27.23 (US Plastic Corp) - Get material for 3 cases out of a sheet.

White Oak - 4-3/4'' width x 18 length, 1/2'' thickness - $7.20 (Rockler Woodworking)

Total for just wood and materials is $16.20. That's without mark-up.

Ron's acrylic tops are heated and bent with the ends glued on. Then the oak is routed and sanded. Not knowing how long it takes him to assemble the acrylic and do the woodworking, I'll guesstimate 3 hours. Being a craftsman, I would price out my time at $20 @ hour.

Right now I would have $76.20 in a 4" x 18" x 6" display case. This is without any mark-up on the materials. When I owned my sign company, I doubled my material cost for retail. So, that's $32.54 for material + $60.00 for labor = $92.54 total. Ron charges $104.

Now remember too with the mark-up, are these cases a major part of the craftsman income or is it a side line that helps fill in when times are slow. That will factor in on how much his mark-up is. If I could fill an order from scrap vinyl off of a larger, better paying job, then I could cut the customer a deal. If I had to order material for his order, the price would be higher.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 05:59 AM UTC
I just got to say that though his cases seem bit pricey they do look really nice. I'm picturing my 1/144 Seawolf in one of those and the mental image is sure nice. Now...if I could just finish the darn thing...now that would be an accomplishment

Rob
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Id like to thank Dave Hill for posting those pics of the case he is making ...I have on my list ( a very long list)of projects the Da Vinci Wing...it is a beutiful all wood kit and requires a HUGE case .....this is one of the reasons I have not really started the kit ( my client is my wife on this one ...)now I hopefully can follow your directions and make a case myself using pane glass...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 09:39 AM UTC
I'm jumping on late here but here are my two cents. If you don't want to buy them don't.

Personally I think it crazy that some people pay far more than the price of a kit to add resin upgrades, P.E. sets, sometimes even multiple P.E. sets from different manufacturers for the same kit, after market decals, and then order special paint that is exactly matched to just the right color of the original. But if that is what they want to do, and they have the money, great for them. Then after putting all that time and money into making a work or art is it too strange that they will they want to pay top dollar for a case to display it properly? Somebody mentioned Mercedes. You don't see too many of those rusting out in front of a house, instead of sitting in a proper garage.

If this fella is a proper craftsman, and makes his cases a labor of love, then he deserves to get whatever he can from them. If somebody doesn't want to pay the toll, or can build a case themselves they wouldn't be ashamed of, then nobody is holding a gun to their head to buy this guy's case.

By the way I'm glad the moderator removed the unnecessary text abbreviation that this post originally had in it's title.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm jumping on late here but here are my two cents. If you don't want to buy them don't.

Personally I think it crazy that some people pay far more than the price of a kit to add resin upgrades, P.E. sets, sometimes even multiple P.E. sets from different manufacturers for the same kit, after market decals, and then order special paint that is exactly matched to just the right color of the original. But if that is what they want to do, and they have the money, great for them. Then after putting all that time and money into making a work or art is it too strange that they will they want to pay top dollar for a case to display it properly? Somebody mentioned Mercedes. You don't see too many of those rusting out in front of a house, instead of sitting in a proper garage.

If this fella is a proper craftsman, and makes his cases a labor of love, then he deserves to get whatever he can from them. If somebody doesn't want to pay the toll, or can build a case themselves they wouldn't be ashamed of, then nobody is holding a gun to their head to buy this guy's case.

By the way I'm glad the moderator removed the unnecessary text abbreviation that this post originally had in it's title.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Rodge...I'll buy your two cents (and offer you a buck for them! )

Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP