Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
1:72 - U 201 on 8 august 42 - "coming home"
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 06:28 PM UTC
I have had this kit laying around the last 2 years, without really getting anything done. My prime concern was, how to display the boat - initially I planned on shoving it full hull, but making a scene with a full hull boat is somewhat static unless fitted into a dock - so I ended up cutting down the hull to waterline.

Aside from cutting the hull to pieces, I am going to use the modelbrass etch set that among other things, contains a beautiful brass deck. I allso have the CMK update set for the guns and turret and as can be seen the inner hull will be scratched in sheet styrene.

The U-201 returned from its 7th patrol on august the 8th “42 having sunk 6 ships - it was its last patrol with Adelbert Schnee as captain. It will allow me to do the boat as it looked returning to Brest with the double snowman emblem, victory pennants and a lined up crew on the deck - and a heavy weathering after a long patrol around Freetown and in the Atlantic.

Water will be a mix of methods inspired by Tailors builds - sea will be relatively clam with "lazy" waves build up with styropour and plaster - on top will be wrinkled alufoil to depict the smaller waves within the bigger waves, and to finish it off after painting it will get a layer of acrylic gel to ad some depth and seal the boat to the surrounding see.

Cheers/Jan
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hey Jan

Wow .. looks awesome ........ great project, and a great start .. perhaps I should come by your house, for a IRL look of the project .. and perhaps some cheese and whisky

Oh .. and to all the danish shipbuilders and German Gamblers ...

Yarrrrrrrrghhhhh
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC
Great start, Jan!

You bring up a real problem with displaying submarine kits: if you want a diorama, it's tough to show more than just a portion of the hull. I'll be following this project with interest.

--Karl
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 01:04 PM UTC
Great start Jan.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 08:01 PM UTC
Very nice p-hull and start
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thanks guys - the P-hull is needed when you build the boat with open floodholes, but only as a representation of the p-hull, as not much is visible trough the small and badly lit floodholes.

The trick is to stop before getting carried away in detailing something that never will be seen again.

As I have put in a new deck in the cunning tower, I will have to scratch the conning tower as it will be visible from above - sweet

Cheers/Jan
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
A bit of striptease - slowly building up the innerhull and the combatroom in the tower.

Cheers/Jan

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:07 PM UTC
Been sidetracked by a WWI wingiethingie .... but after proper treatment I am now back on the right track

Been working on the frame on the base and the rough layout of the water. The base is now ready to accept the sub. But before joining the base and the boat, I will have to have the hull done and weathered - the deck will be added later and be painted separately as its will be easier to simulate the dark worn wooddeck when I can handel it without affecting other parts of the buildup.

Well - enough talking - pictures:

alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 08:12 PM UTC
Hello Jan

this is a very cool project. I am sure you have a lot of material but just as some inspiration:

http://www.dargies.de/Modellbau/u564.html
http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Marine/Krabbenhoeft/U-558_Krech.html

all the best

Steffen
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thanks Steffen, they are both beauties, I knew about the first one, but the second is new to me.

The thought of aquirering the complete CMK interiour and a complete crew is staggering but doing it to such a level of quality is way beyond my patience

Cheers/Jan
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
There is a fella in the Greek model forum who is building a similar project for to be placed in a dio later on, for over a year now.The level of detail he goes in however is amazing.It just shows , in larger scales you can be working for ages on a single project and still have left room for extra detailing.
After seeing his and yours i am starting to get tempted too.

http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.php/topic,10338.0.html
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:23 PM UTC
Thanks Kostas,

As mentioned its a kit I initially started out on 2 years ago, but my level of ambitions and the amount of things that could be done to improve the kit actually stalled the project ....

A other factor was allso that a full hull display didn“t really attract me, the problem being that a its hard telling a story on a full hull build unless you are doing a drydock diorama.

With the hull cut down I can do a boat with heavy weathering, seaside, crew lined up on the deck, victorypennants and all that jazz - much better and more motivating for me.

When that is said, this kit will still - inaccuracys an all - look stunning out of the box - it all depends on what makes your day.

Theres no doubt that the build that you link to, will turn into a stunning model, but I would never be able to focus on a single kit for so long - less can do it, and when fitted into a composition other things comes in focus.

Heres some inspiration to what can be done out of the box:

part 1

Part 2

Good luck/Jan
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
basic paint is on ... the deck is not glued on yet - so its a bit floppy ...

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Been working on the hull and integrating it in the water - Alucraft heat barrier for housebuilding glued on, base paint in black, oil paint for the water, highlights in white, gel for transparency and cotton strings for foam.

Turret and deck is still missing weathering

Comments are wellcome

Cheers/Jan

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 06:16 AM UTC
Wonderful work Jan.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 08:15 PM UTC
Really nice build and display, love the pier/quay corner and emblem/badge.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 10:56 PM UTC
Looking great, Jan!
BZ!
Guido
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
I have to say this one looks really good! Personally I like most of all the calmness of the water...

Harm
reef75
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 07:45 PM UTC
Lovely looking model, really well done sir

steve
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words - due to a lot of other activities things are a bit slow on the workbench - but i have been working on the tower, here it is without weathering and the difference to the hull is quite striking, and its clear to see how much oils alter the basic colors - which should be taken into account when laying down the basecolors.

Taking into consideration, that I don“t really fancy doing figures, Its not very smart doing a harbor diorama, where a good deal of the crew would be lined up on deck .... - they are still to get a coat of future and a wash before being finished of with a dullcoat.

Cheers/Jan
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 03:57 AM UTC
Slowly getting there - the wires still need a wash and the periscope - otherwise its about there....

reef75
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 06:06 AM UTC
Really impresive work, top job sir...

steve
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen.

Getting closer

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hi Jan

Very impressive work.

I like your figure work especially the painting they are muted and weathered just like the U-Boat.

Well done.

Cheers

Sean
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 07:34 PM UTC
Thanks Sean,

I figured, that after 43 days at sea they would be just as gray as the boat itself

U-boat crews displayed a huge variaty in cloathing - a merry mix of civilian and military gear ranging from read sweathers to light gray leather - functionality seem to allow for a lot thats not in the uniform regulations

Cheers/Jan
 _GOTOTOP