_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
I-58 Japanese Sub (1:350)
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

Armorama Associate Editor Ted Hayward [TED_HAYWARD] brings us another in-box review of AFV Club’s I-58 Japanese Sub w/Kaiten in 1/350 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
I'm building this for the Torpedos campaign and I agree with the surprise in the level of detail.
I'm more accustomed to 1:48 and 1:35 kits and the parts in this kit are so tiny I pray not to tweezer lauch them because they are NOT coming back if they go.

I also don't see the point in the pressure hull. It will never be seen and doesn't really look like it will add structural support.

I do have one fit issue - where the upper and lower hull come together in the stern there's a gap of about 1/32" for the last 1/2" or so. And I'm afraid of squeezing harder for fear of snapping the delicate rudder.

The bow dive planes are delicate too. I assembled them "out" and the broke one off with very little pressure.

It's my first sub and first naval vessel in a long, long time.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
I picked up the "aircraft carrier" version of this kit. It is a big boat that is for sure, but then all the IJN ships seem to be bigger than their counterparts with the exception of the Iowa class BB and Essex class AC
 _GOTOTOP