_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Fort Drum 1941-Concrete Battleship
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:14 AM UTC
This ''first-look" style review is of a new and quite unique kit from OKB Grigorov Models, Bulgaria, "Fort Drum, Concrete Battleship of the Philippines", ala' Peter Fulgoney! (peterf)

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 06:10 AM UTC
what a unique kit. Research showed that it stood up pretty well during the Japanese invasion. It was surrendered when Gen Wainwright eventyually capitulated. If I read correctly, it is still there, though stripped now
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what a unique kit. Research showed that it stood up pretty well during the Japanese invasion. It was surrendered when Gen Wainwright eventyually capitulated. If I read correctly, it is still there, though stripped now

Yes Steve, it's still there! I bought the book "The Concrete Battleship" so that I could build the kit better, and the final pages do show the structure still there although badly beaten up, and the two main guns rusted over but still generally in tact. Also, Google - images - Fort Drum.

The US marines filled it with petrol in 1945 and blewn it up so there are the results of that but like any constret WW2 building they are almost impossible to remove or too expensive to remove for any good prupose.

My build blog has begun on "The Big Gun Campaign" in the fleet manoeuvres forum - anyone interested, take a look.

Peter F
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
very unique! Thanks for sharing, look forward to your build.
 _GOTOTOP