_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Is There A "FUTURE" ?
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
So I finally start a project that I want to try using "Future" on as a gloss coat and decal base. I run down to the local store to pick some up, or so I thought. I have not been able to find the stuff anywhere in my area. After having tried all the local possibilities ( Safeway, Albertsons, Krogers, Winco, and even Walmart ) with no luck, I am beginning to wonder if it has been renamed or discontinued.

Has anyone else had difficulty in finding this stuff ? Are there any brand name equivalents ?
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
well. i ordered a couple of bottles from UK , only to find that yet again has been renamed to 'Pledge' in a white box and now the liquid is no more transparent like water but has a thick yellowish tint.Something like the color of Baileys (drink) but not as thick.Pretty useless if you ask me now.It will leave a yellowish tint on your model for sure.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 10:31 PM UTC
Although I haven't had to buy a bottle in many years (one lasts a loooong time, especially if you have a bench schedule like I do ), as Kostas has stated, the name has changed, but according to the company, the formula is the same...I again can't comment on this, mate, as I still have the good ole' "Future" in my cabinet.

Here's a couple decent links that will shed a bit more light on the subject:

Future

Everything that you would ever need to know about Future for modeling, but were afraid to ask...

Cheers,
~Gunny
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC
The current name (in the US) is "Pledge with Future Shine".

One large bottle can last for years; just keep it in the dark
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The current name (in the US) is "Pledge with Future Shine".

One large bottle can last for years; just keep it in the dark

I take it that you have used it in the "New" packaging and haven't had the yellowing problems mentioned. Well I guess trial and error will be my plan, but I don't think I'll be risking it on my next battleship build as originally planned.

Thanks guys for the info..............
Dougiedog
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
There is a trial somewhere..in a magazine or, more likely another forum, maybe Finescale Modeller or Hyperscale where trials have been done on the new formulations and found it to be ok but there maybe some scented formulations which some folk think would be a little odd if applied to your latest war machine. So a bit more searching should reveal more, I'm sorry I cannot rememember where I read it.
Cheers
Forgetful
Adam
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a trial somewhere..in a magazine or, more likely another forum, maybe Finescale Modeller or Hyperscale where trials have been done on the new formulations and found it to be ok but there maybe some scented formulations which some folk think would be a little odd if applied to your latest war machine. So a bit more searching should reveal more, I'm sorry I cannot rememember where I read it.
Cheers
Forgetful
Adam

Hmmn....A Lemon Fresh Scented Nagato ?

Wait a minute, maybe they could be talked in to producing a Bunker C Oil scent !!!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:04 PM UTC
What you are looking for is acrylic floor wax. I use a gemneric brand I got from the dollar general strore. Question....Why would you want to spray a battleship? What decals are you putting on the Nagato? Couldn't be enough to warrant sparyi9ng floor polish on the ship i would think. Maybe use a brush and put a spot on whare you are going to decal. I do that with a lot of my decals on tanks and planes.
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What you are looking for is acrylic floor wax. I use a gemneric brand I got from the dollar general strore. Question....Why would you want to spray a battleship? What decals are you putting on the Nagato? Couldn't be enough to warrant sparyi9ng floor polish on the ship i would think. Maybe use a brush and put a spot on whare you are going to decal. I do that with a lot of my decals on tanks and planes.

Here is my thinking on this:

I will be attempting to simulate armored hull plating using tape strips. I am hoping that a light overcoat of Future would act as a bonding aid to this and other added hull details (porthole eyebrows etc')
It is also my understanding that Future can act as an intermediate overcoat coat for protection of the primary paint and weathering, using a final dullcoat to eliminate the sheen.
The discussion of decals pertained to shipboard aircraft.

Any thoughts ?
JMartine
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 01:24 AM UTC
Another reason to "future" a large ship is to apply oil-based weathering on top of an enamel base. The future coat, left to dry and fully cured for 2-3 days, will protect the underlying enamel paint coats from the thinner used in oil-based weathering, color-modulation/dot-filtering techniques, etc. A mist of Testors dullcote brings the shine down; let the dullcote sit/dry for couple hours before applying the next coat. This technique worked like a charm the ONE time I tried it Just make sure you use a 'mild" thinner for the weathering steps (mineral spirits) and not a "hot" thinner (lacquer).

I still have my first (old) bottle of Future; have no first hand experience with the "new" one.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another reason to "future" a large ship is to apply oil-based weathering on top of an enamel base. The future coat, left to dry and fully cured for 2-3 days, will protect the underlying enamel paint coats from the thinner used in oil-based weathering, color-modulation/dot-filtering techniques, etc. A mist of Testors dullcote brings the shine down; let the dullcote sit/dry for couple hours before applying the next coat. This technique worked like a charm the ONE time I tried it Just make sure you use a 'mild" thinner for the weathering steps (mineral spirits) and not a "hot" thinner (lacquer).

I still have my first (old) bottle of Future; have no first hand experience with the "new" one.

This is exactly what I use future for on the builds that I weather with oils. The glossy surface allows the oils to flow instead of pooling. When done, I usually put multiple light coats of flat on the model to reduce the shine.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC
Ahoy all,
Just bought a new bottle of the now " Pledge with Future". Here in Canada
comes in the exact same bottle and label shape...... and as the others have mentioned.......just renamed.
It is still a clear product and to my nose smells exactly the same.
According to the Johnson Co........... same formula.
My old bottle which I had for about 10 years did yellow ever so slightly
but nothing alarming and was still very transparent.
According so some sources, Future will yellow slightly in its liquid state but is
very stable after it has been applied and dried.
I have never had a problem even with my old batch and most modelers
pack on so much "filters" and "weathering" over the Future coat that I don't
think the slight yellow should create any concerns with color shifts.
Over course, I speak from my experiences.
Have a great day and happy modeling!
Cheers,
Joe

rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
I have the Australian version (some kind of Pledge thing), and it is yellowish when you buy it, but it applies clear. I have only ever used it as a decal applier/sealer, and not on entire model, so I can't offer 100% guarantee, but am sort of seconding Joe's post.
 _GOTOTOP