_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Ting Yuen
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hello there, June 9th my iron clad the Ting Yuen arrived, opened immediately and very impressed, this is a 1-350 scale (already managed to lose a main cannon, I only hope I can find it) but the question I'd like to ask. Apart from being a sister ship, does anyone know the difference between this battleship and the Chen Yuen ?
Both Ting and Chen are on ebay, I have the Ting (sounds quite comical) and like I said that is one fantastic looking model, I don't want to buy the same model with a different name, although option is model in year 1885 which I am doing or the year 1894, painting isn't a great deal of differnce, you're swapping white for black basically.
So what apart from sister ships - the difference between Ting Yuen and Chen Yuen.
Look forward to your reply.
Oh almost forgot, I've already gone through the very good write up on the Ting which doesn't help in this question.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi Alec, the references I can find refer to Ting and Chen as near identical sister ships, both having been built in Germany. The link below leads to a photo of Chen in what appears to be light grey paint which might be more appealing than the black, white and yellow trim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IJN_Chen_yuen%28Chin%27en%29.jpg

cheers,
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
Thank you for that, I have also been informed that there's suppose to a slight difference around the bridge arrangement, how slight or how different wasn't made clear, the funny thing is, I honestly don't know where the bridge is on this battleship, there appears to be a ''X'' just above the main guns with, well, what looks like a small summer house, I can only assume this is the bridge.
 _GOTOTOP