_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
IJN Suzuya
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:21 AM UTC
In progress piccy of Suzuya, in 1939. I made a serious stuff up missed the degaussing cable. (which Tamiya also made the same mistake, they supplied a hull without degaussing cable but with upgrade main guns...figure)

As yet un-decided whether to add the cable post'build..decisions decisions..

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
Very nice - that is the 1/350 kit?
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:32 PM UTC
This is the 1/700 Suzuya kit as evident by the pen, or it was a large scale pen? Not aware of a 1/350 Suzuya though it is probably not far from the corner given the sister ship releases.

I'm in a kind of quandary in a sense...this build was not intended to be a fast build, as I wanted to enter a competition that was a couple weeks away. Unfortunately I missed the deadline, which gives me more time to pile on details and things I didn't plan to do on the onset. One of the things I skipped was the masts, which I used kit parts slightly thined. How it came back to bite me..I prescribe to the theory that everything on a model needs to be consistent in order to achieve realism, but with the addition of delicate PEs the thickness of the masts in particular stood up as a sore thumb...hopefully rigging will mask it somewhat..very extensive rigging that is..
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 01:03 AM UTC
Well, I can tell you did a bang up job on her so far. The aircraft rails by themsleves are very impressive and them the remainder of the details, to notch!!

Also check you PMs shipmate.

bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
I do like this class of heavy cruiser, and so far you're doing a first rate job, look forward to seeing more of the build.
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 03:29 PM UTC
Oldish update from a month ago. Previous post got wiped out by the database outage across kitmakers network. These are from 2 batch of pictures and with the second batch correcting some rigging issues and additional details like wind direction finder/laterns atop masts.

The seaplanes took the longest, having to rebuild all structs with wire, adding wind sheids and MG.. A splattering of PE figures, even though already thickened with multiple coats of primers is stil too thin!

Hope you liked it!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC
that rigging is great. That is one talent I am sorely lacking in. I can do just a bit of it. Long ago I did a USS Constitution. I think that threw me off rigging ever since. I built the 350 Mogami. For some reason Tamiya neglected to do that little radio tower on the front gun turret.
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 04:49 AM UTC
When I first saw this, I thought it can't get much better, I was wrong, this is incredible, very, very nice.
 _GOTOTOP