_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
The Famous Bismarck
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 61 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hello to all!

I recently acquired the Tamiya 1/350 scale German Battleship Bismarck. This is actually my second try at a big naval vessel ( the first one being Tamiya's Battleship Yamato, built OOB). I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me where I could go to in the web for nice and detailed reference sources. Some nice coloured photos would also be nice. Also, I know it's a lot nicer to see the Bismarck in her early camo stripes. I just want to verify if that it's true that when she went down, after her battle with the Royal Navy, she was wearing no camouflage stripes at all?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC
Try www.kbismarck.com. This is the semi -official website for the Bismark. Robert Ballard's book The Dicovery of the Bismark has some very good color drawings of the ship, both afloat and on the ocean bottom.

In answer to your question about the ship's camo, you're right, "he" didn't have a stripes. All the camo and air recognition, like the large swastikas at bow and stern, were painted out. That website I just mentioned did say that there was still a false bow wave that wasn't pained out.
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 05:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the info & site, halfyank!
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
The pictures of the Bismark on the ocean floor show that the swastikas are there. Were they painted over and if so are we seeing that the paint has come off?
penkala
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC
discovery has an nice somthin about the bismarck really intresting...but i dunno when it's on...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The pictures of the Bismark on the ocean floor show that the swastikas are there. Were they painted over and if so are we seeing that the paint has come off?

Yes, they were painted over when the ship was getting ready for the cruise. Time and seawater have exposed them. Eventually they will fade as well.

Robert Ballard's book The Discovery of the Bismark shows them and tells the story.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 06:58 PM UTC
"THE FAMOUS BISMARCK"......sorry, I can't resist this.................Was there Another? #:-)

Squadron Signal also put out an excellent reference book called Kreigsmarine which has some good line drawings of the "famous" Bismarck.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hey how did that Yamamoto go together? Pretty good, anything I should look out for in building it?

~Chip :-)
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC
Rigging was really tricky. Also had a hefty time cleaning up small parts i.e., AA guns but otherwise it was a nice build. Although, it would have been good to add AM parts. Only that there aren't any here.
thenamshow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
try going to google.com n typing in the name of the ship thats all i can say (++)
 _GOTOTOP