_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Where to Start IJN Aircraft carriers
IJ-CON
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm new to shipbuilding and was looking for some advice of where to start. I have plently of experience in building armour and aircraft kit but was keen to build a ship.

I'm mainly interested in IJN aircraft carriers and would appricate any kit recommendations.

Cheers in advance,

IJ-CON
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 08:34 PM UTC
First is to decide on the scale. In general carriers are available at 1/350 or 1/700. The new tool Akagi from Fujimi at 1/700 is great at ~$30 dollars. Hasegawa also does a 1/350 Akagi, more expensive of course, make it $350.

If you are an armour modeler before you'd be reasonably comfortable with PE and you might consider the aftermarket parts available. Rough rule double the cost
IJ-CON
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks, Potchip,

I’m still undecided on the scale, but I’ve seen both the new Fujimi 1/700 and 1/350 Hasegawa Akagi on HobbyLink Japan website, which both looks very good. Do the 1/700 kits build up to a reasonable size?

I noticed there is also the older 1/450 Hasegawa Akagi as well and have heard it’s not too bad? I see there is a couple of PE sets available (and I’m reasonable comfortable with PE). Any views?
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC
Disclaimer: I'm strictly 1/700 so I'm biased. 1/700 being the main scale has more choices, both in terms of kits and aftermarket. Typically IJN carriers build up to about 30-35 cm in length.

The 1/450 Akagi is over 30 years old. I think there's only one set of PE (gold medal models?) for it and it is by no means complete (and not the easiest to get). The kit itself can be had for a similar price to a 1/700 kit. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If size matters to you, go for it.

I like detail so 1/450 is not up for consideration unless as a scratch build project.

As for buying, I recommend hobby search ie 1999.co.jp. View their english version of the site. All waterline models are 20% off Japanese retail, plus about 4% points discount going towards the next order. The shipping isn't bad as long as you choose SAL. Beats HLJ easily enough.

Some of the IJN ships I've built, in 1/700..

Unryu (aoshima tool..)

Ryujo (fujimi old tool..)

Taiho (taimiya)

Hiryu (aoshima old tool..)

Chuyo (aoshima)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
I've done the 350 akagi. It was not an easy kit to build. The PE can break you financially. Being good with Pe on tanks is a whole different ball league than ships. The real tiny pieces you use for tanks are the large ones on ships.....especailly 700 scale. I think you can build up a nice kit with the 350 Akagi. The under flight deck brass will make or break you. I pulled out hair and pitched nightly fits over it....eventually I only used about a quarter of it. If you breathe on it it will bend. The other sets went together well though. Also buying aricraft. I strongly recommend getting the Fujimi aircraft. You get exactly the planes you want rather than buying sets with all 3 types in (the Akagi Pearl Harbor launch did not have Vals). The planes are also done in less pieces, so alignment problems are non existant.
IJ-CON
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks guys appreciate the advice.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 03:37 AM UTC
I would get my Feet wet on a 1-700 fist of all. As stated somewhere earlier you have a larger Range of Vessels to choose from. In the end, it is up to you what you wish to build and look forward to seeing what you come up with...Cheers Mark
 _GOTOTOP