_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
on the inablity to 'finish' models
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 03:34 AM UTC
Recently I find myself unable to take up the airbrush and painting things. The weather is partly to blame but so is laziness. Instead I'd rather rip open the next kit and start building, then stop at the same hurdle.

The end result is a line of ships at various stages of undress..

Anyone else suffering the same?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
yes, been there, done that. It's a luxury problem: so many models and so little time You have an excellent collection nearly finished there; would seem to be a question of applying the seat of your trousers to a chair and concentrating on one build. Starting multiple models has never worked for me, nowadays I start one and either finish it or bin it.
Cheers,
Julian
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
Same Disease, different country.

IIRC between false starts and moves, I think I have at least 3 ships in some degree of started.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:34 AM UTC
My simple solution is this: I don't start another one until I completely finish the one I'm working on !! This way I don't have any unfinished models sitting around.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
I usually work on no more than 2. When I get close to the end of one I usually start another. Reason....taping and painting. While I do that and wait, I usually start another. Right now i am about 80 % done with a Mig 29 and just got the first step done on a Pershing. You will have difficuolties it looks like as trying to paint a completed kit with more thatn one color will be a beeatch
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:23 PM UTC
Guilty as charged....

both ADHD and MADD do play a role in that.... I have started many models, have yet to finish one.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
I too ,share the insanity. When I don't feel very creative but still want to model, I go and start another one to the point of painting. Then , I put them away in the original boxes till I get an idea as to what diorama I wish to make. Next dilemma is a bunch of unfinished dios. Will someone put me out of my misery??????????.............Al
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 08:20 AM UTC
I too am a member of this club. My downfall is the "Fear of the Airbrush". I put sooo much time and effort into the build that I do't want to ruin it with a bad AB job. My first couple of efforts with the AB not a pretty sight. So there they sit. I know practice makes perfect and I have plenty of stuff to practice on. I just can't pull the trigger.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 08:51 AM UTC
well the painting part isn't what gets me but I have that problem.

I once keep 2 to 3 projects in the works at once. (when i had more time. I needed something to do while the paint dried on one.) right now I have 5 in the works. (was up to 6 but finished one.)

Sad thing is I really want to start another one.
I've told my self i have to wait until i finish something before I can do that.
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
Common problem, common solution it seems! Got stuck into it on the weekend and almost finished off Arizona.

Skayden
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC

I have this problem too (in addition to the problem of having multiple hobbies.) And I beat myself up over it as well. But I try to keep it in perspective. If it seems like more fun to spend my limited free time on something new than it does to finish an old project... well... we ARE doing this for fun. It's not like we're walking away from half finished open heart surgery and heading off to do an appendectomy, right?

A once read a wise observation about uncompleted hobby projects: you're done when you've gotten all the enjoyment you could get out of doing the project, not necessarily when it's "finished."

Not to say it isn't nice to have a completed project to put on the shelf once in a while, though. Or it'd be nice to be able to field an army of miniatures wherin every soldier actually had two arms and a head

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
And she is a beauty ! Nice work, a real looker.
cheers,
Julian
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
If you think that this is bad, then wait till someone pays you rather a good amount of money to built him something that you would built anyway (and propably for nothing) and stll feel the need to jump on something else.

Then you def know you are not well.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
Pretty common problem, I have more underway, and started than finished.
The last year or two has been the worse for finishing anything.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 08:20 AM UTC
Potchip, you need to finish that Akagi! You've put to much scratchbuilding work into it to let it sit in a box.

I need to take my own advise too. After I seen the new Fujimi Akagi I had to shelf mine out of flustration and work on something else.

I've been pretty good and forced myself to complete every kit I've started with the exception of three. The Akagi, the Chuyo (kit is so bad I should of scratchbuilt it) a Ford Mach III Mustang(a blotched paint job on my part, I need to buy a new kit for the outer body).
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Thank you for the kind words! I wasn't expecting much building the dragon arizona OOB but was pleasantly surprised.

Anthony, I just received the new Akagi. Did a comparison of the hull and happy to report the difference isn't major (~10-15%). Good reason to finish the conversion maybe! Can even use the Fujimi kit as reference. Fujimi did a very good job and it's a major improvement over Ryujo (the carriers and BBs seems to be produced by different contractors, using different plastic etc). Will resume once Arizona is completed.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC
I have waaaaaaay too many projects laying around incomplete, but part of that is lack of time to be able to get the airbrush/spraybooth set up to paint. So when I get to a point where I need to do painting, the model gets pushed aside for something else.

I have tried really, really hard this year to not start any new project and finish ONLY what is "on the slipway". To date, I've been pretty successful in sticking to that and getting some builds that have lingered for a long time done, or almost done.

Now, if I could only stop buying new stuff, maybe the temptation to start new projects won't be as bad!!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
These two comments pretty much summarize my lack of finishing:

"A once read a wise observation about uncompleted hobby projects: you're done when you've gotten all the enjoyment you could get out of doing the project, not necessarily when it's "finished."

"part of that is lack of time to be able to get the airbrush/spraybooth set up to paint. So when I get to a point where I need to do painting, the model gets pushed aside for something else."

add to that usual life/family stuff and......
 _GOTOTOP