_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Which Titanic kit?
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi everyone,
I am planning one final ambitious build before I go to college next year, and I was thinking of building a lit model of the Titanic, possible even beginning its sinking stage.

I cannot decide between Academy's 1/400 Premium Edition kit, or MiniCraft's 1/350 Deluxe Kit. I have saved up a lot of money for this build, so price should not be a huge issue, but nonetheless, I would like to get the most for my dollar. I would also probably buy most of the PE available for either kit.

So. Does anyone know which is more accurate? Which is a better value? Which is an overall better kit?

Any input is helpful!

Thanks,
Andrew
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 08:07 PM UTC
both are nice kits, but i'd go for minicrafts deluxe kit, if i'm not mistaken this is the fully revised version with all the mistakes corrected from minicrsfts previous releases, and if i recall it comes with the PE railing.
Ant
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC
I think I'm going to go with the Academy kit..it was realeased in June 2010 and comes with all the PE and even wood decking.

I found this lighting kit for Revell's 1/570 kit, and I was wondering if it would work in a 1/400 kit. Any thoughts?

Here's a link:

http://www.warmplastic.com/ltt.html
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
can't argue with your choice Andrew, i've seen the built up shots of this kit, and amazing doesn't do it justice! it's a brilliant kit, though i heard it was a limited edition so i'd snap it up quick lol
Ant.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
I think I built the minicraft kit ( not the premium) and found the fit to be absolutely horrendous. I built it for my wife which is probably the only reason i didn't flip it into the trash.. So I hope your choice is super. I like that it has wooden decks. I use them on all my ships now when available.
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys!
I ordered it today, along with Tom's Model Works 1/400 Titanic Window set, and 3 of Tom's 1/400 Oceanliner Figure sets from a great store in Georgia.
It's called Free Time Hobbies...they have absolutely EVERYTHING you could ever hope for on their website. I would highly recommend doing business with them.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
Hi Steve, i too (tried) to build the minicraft kit, this was their first release way back in 1996 if i recall correctly and the fit was terrible the back end of the ship (the Deck) wouldn't sit flush at all i don't know if it was warped, or i might have fouled up the alignment somewhere, coz at the time i was only 14 and my only experience at building ships up to then had been airfix's old bismarck and hms belfast lol but my brother got minicrafts premium version which was corrected and updated (minus PE ) but i started building it and encountered no problems though i did loose patience on it and consigned it to the build later pile, will have another go at it one day, just not yet
Ant.
 _GOTOTOP