_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Kudos to Hobby Boss!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
After seeing Rui Matos' (Skipper) eye-popping 1/700 Akula vignette, I had to have one. When it arrived I wasn't disappointed. What great detail and fit. This morning my next order arrived from Squadron, an Oscar II, Typhoon, and the USS Greeneville. Oh baby! What detail and what fit! I slipped the hull halves of the Typhoon together and they were pretty much flawless. If this isn't the industry standard, it should be. Though I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these kits ( I suspect Skipper and Gator could) I think anyone who enjoys submarine subjects would be remiss, if they did not add these to their collection. The best part of this, was the price. Considering the fit, the detail, and the crispness of the parts, it's an awesome purchase. Tamiya should consider adopting this approach...I'm just saying... I hope that Hobby Boss expands this subject area and includes more Soviet and US submarines from the Cold War Era, because they have a very satisfied customer.

Steve
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
Right there with you man, having built most of the Russian side of their offering, I keep my fingers crossed that release more kits along these lines.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC
I used to agree with everything said about the company until I bought their new 1/700 Arizona. What a terrible kit, and it was obviously taken from a old mold from someone else. IMO it was a bathtub toy. There own work and new molds are top notch alright but this kit was aweful. The $10 price tag should of given a clue as to the quality. Hopefully this Arizona will be the exception and not the norm. Buyer beware.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Steve

Well, thank you for the kudos but... there's always a but, isn't it?
The Typhoon has issues, the Akula has issues, as with others also... some minor, some big (the Typhoon conning tower/sail is too narrow), but with some work in Hobby Boss subs, they can be true replicas of the original subs!

I may sound guilty or too nit pick, but if I was able to overlook these issues, they are excellent short term projects!
Cry for help if needed!!!!!
Your most welcome

Cheers,
Rui
 _GOTOTOP