Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Academy's Graf Spee
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
The false bow wave looks correct Julian in the pics with battle damage but I am coming to the conclusion it is a three tone grey or black as the darkest color.

It's a dark grey maybe something like RLM66 look at the stack also notice the wave

the wave at a different angle different color with same battle damage

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
i would bet on dark grey Kevin but it is your party and the build is looking very good!
Cheers,
Julian
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 08:39 AM UTC
I have come to that conclusion when I went back and looked at the stack color compared to the SS color.I posted some new pics that show it and the wave.
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
I decided on RLM 61 and RLM 02 for the Grays with such a slight tint of green.The RLM 02 I need to work on the consistency of the thickness of paint so I stopped on the turret.

javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 03:51 PM UTC
While not perfect I think I got the tone and hue contrast right what's the opinion out there?Now the only area with 02 is the front turret look there.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Kevin

Superstructure looks good to me, the only thing I would say is, from the photograph, looks like the hull was a darker grey.

Si
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thks Simon yea the paint on the SS has progress even more as for the hull color in that photo the sun is behind the ship behind the stern.Trust me I kept looking at it because I had other photos showing the lighter color. I started seeing shadows which also notified me to start noticing those in relation to camo.Cheers
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Well I continue plod along on this withalot coming together today.I still have a (3)PE MG's to build and (3) cable reels.I think once I get those finished it's onto the rigging saving the outboard railing for last.Thks for looking and appreciate any and all comments. Cheers

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hi. I'm partially through my Graf Spee (Trumpeter version) and have a question about the main deck side rails. When the outermost 15cm turrets are traversed to 3 and 9 o'clocks respectively, the turrest base extends slightly over the edge of the deck, precluding the placement of side railings at that point. Was there, in fact no railings at that point, ending just before the 2nd 15 cm turret, and resuming just after the 3rd 15 cm turret? Or is this an error on Trumpeter's part by locating these turrets too far outboard?
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. I'm partially through my Graf Spee (Trumpeter version) and have a question about the main deck side rails. When the outermost 15cm turrets are traversed to 3 and 9 o'clocks respectively, the turrest base extends slightly over the edge of the deck, precluding the placement of side railings at that point. Was there, in fact no railings at that point, ending just before the 2nd 15 cm turret, and resuming just after the 3rd 15 cm turret? Or is this an error on Trumpeter's part by locating these turrets too far outboard?

Biggles I would say it's an issue with Trump in this case.WEM showed the railing and then I pulled the book by Brier on page 6(1937) it's there very clearly and in some pics at a distance it appears at the time of River Plates.Cheers Kevin

By the way how do like the Trump Kit?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:37 AM UTC
Overall I like the Trumpeter one better. I bought the Academy one first, then the Trumpeter one, and sold the Academy. Although they both have issues. I then bought the PE set (for Academy) and found it didn't fit perfectly on the Trumpeter - all the stairways were about one step too short . Seems Academy's decks are a bit lower. But with a bit of compromising here and there it's not too noticable. BTW, the laser cut wooden deck for Academy won't fit at all on Trumpeter because of too many dimensional differences. If Dragon were to release one it would be the ultimate.
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Thanks Biggles.I have found the Prinz Eugen on sale for $85 and the cheapest price I have seen on it yet.I am really buying into the lines of the Kriegsmarine in thier capital ships ATM.Cheers

By the way has anybody done this kit yet and how did it go?
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Biggles.I have found the Prinz Eugen on sale for $85 and the cheapest price I have seen on it yet.I am really buying into the lines of the Kriegsmarine in thier capital ships ATM.Cheers

By the way has anybody done this kit yet and how did it go?

I have the kit in the stash, haven't touched it yet. Someone just built one, backdated to the Channel Dash, here.
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
Looks nice Martin just wonder about that camo pattern?The guys abilities with PE exceed mine ATM.Cheers
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:25 PM UTC
Deck edge railings were removable.
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Deck edge railings were removable.

So you are saying Tracy those railings around those guns could be pulled in conflicts?interesting.Cheers
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC
That has turned to be à very smart looking pocket battleship Kevin! Excellent work,
Cheers,
Julian
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That has turned to be à very smart looking pocket battleship Kevin! Excellent work,
Cheers,

Julian

Thks Julian been little of nothing of late.The rigging was whooping my arse for some reason so she's been on the back burner for about two weeks now,working up a Type 93 Willow in 1/32.Cheers
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 02:34 PM UTC
The Graf Spee has finally been completed!This is the Academy 1/350 kit with the WEM offerings in PE.I had to add some MG's to the back of the ship as I remember she had been outfitted before her demise with such.It was quite apparent in one photgragh after the Battle of River Plate in Montevideo bay were the dead had been laid between the MG's and the rear turrent to be taken ashore covered in flags and sheets.I went really light on the rust on her while in some pics(older) you see good rust stains at the anchors and the side of the hull but while in Montevideo you do not hardly see any at all.I surmise with the reoutfit that had occurred along with the camo job she had to be fairly fresh in paint hence little to no rust.The most complex part while enjoyable was the rigging and I am still not sure I got it right?But is does look busy enough.I hope to get some outdoor pics tomorrow if the weather cooperates to show off the rigging.I now feel good to tackle the Prinz Eugen the Wem came in today and a book should be this week also.

Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
I think it turned out real nice. Rigging can be a challenge, and it looks like you took the challenge head on and succeeded.

Best

Mark
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 03:20 AM UTC
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think Graf Spee flew or displayed any national flag while on commerce raiding patrol. The whole purpose of camoflage and various disguises was to appear as anything else but the Graf Spee,ie; as neutral ships, or as a freindly warship. Flying a Swastika would certainly give it away! Photos in Montivideo Harbor don't count!

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
That is true for most of her Patrol. But when she went to Battle Stations for an Engagement, she did unfurl and fly her Colours or she could have been charged with Piracy. Any Warship acting as she did must fly her Flag before opening Fire.....Cheers mark
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 02:22 AM UTC
Excellent point! I did not know that. Thanks.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 06:51 PM UTC
Well done Kevin! I have both the Academy and Trumpeter Graf Spees in the stash. I have the Deluxe Academy one with the extras, and I have the Eduard PE, brass barrels and Artwox Wooden Deck for the Trumpeter kit. I am going to build both of them and pretend one is not the Graf Spee but one of her sister ships..
I know one of them was a bit longer but the other one was the same length I believe. One day I will get around to them.
Again Kevin, very well done and remember, it is your kit you paid good money for so you build it the way you want to build it.
javlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 02:08 PM UTC
Thanks for looking in fellas been busy with life of late.Were is Jules of late?Anyway I took some pics outside and give a much better representation.

The poop deck of the Eugen and this is happening so slowly inbetween life its pathetic but here it is.