_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
"Limited" Edition Kits?
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
I just sent in a pre-order for a 1:32 B-25J that's being promoted as a 'Limited Edition' kit. Two other variants are also being offered with a combined production run of just 7,500 kits. Trumpeter is following a similar tack with its 1:200 USS Arizona.

Question: presuming the quality of these kits is up to today's standards, they should sell out rapidly. Why have such limited numbers on a strong-selling item?
Is it a coy marketing strategy or a cautious approach in the current economic climate? (After all, look what happened to the once-robust 1:18 aircraft market.)

--Karl
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC
Excellent marketing ploy to ensure initial sales
Trumpeter has pumped out 2 versions of the Tiger II in 1/16th as limited editions, (which are both still rather readily available). It works though, I have the itches for the Arizona......................................................
Cheers,
Julian
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 08:39 AM UTC
I can remember Dragon doing that when they first really hit the market big time with their series of Tiger 1 tanks. Some of it was an excuse to jack the price up $5 to $10 dollars. I've got a few of those left, and what happened is that Dragon popped the kit into a different box and sold that as well. So my take on this will be if the 200 Arizona sells real well, a "regular" kit will hit the market shortly after.
 _GOTOTOP