_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Tamiya - USS Enterprise CVN65
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

MSW Crewmember Dariush [Dr_Who2] shares with us his thoughts on Tamiya’s USS Enterprise in 1/350. This is one review in a series covering the ships of the Enterprise line.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Review brings back memories.I built this when it first came out in the mid-eighties as a beginner with minimal skills.I was still able to get a decent build out of it thanks to Tamiya simplicity.My build is long gone but as the reviewer bought out it is a good solid kit,I feel it is able to be handled by anyone with a decent amount of skills.
jryckert
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC
I also built this kit in the mid eighties and again in the early nineties. Have one right now that is unstarted in the box that I bought a year ago from a store that sold models in their basement and was selling everything for half price. to good of a deal to pass up. Also got a 1/72 Type VII C for half price. Regarding the Tamiya CVN 65 kit, it may be pushing 30 but I think it can still stand up to some of todays newer releases. Jon
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 10:05 AM UTC
There are some really nice PE sets out there to show this kit up. I built the 350 Nimitz a few years back and have this one in the stash. I think it measures up fairly well other than the 2 hull halves being screwed together. Still all and all, a splendid kit
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
I built this kit back in the late 80s and it was featured on the cover and articles of the then SCALE SHIP MODELER , when Loren Perry was running it back then, and I used all the PE sets available at that time.

The kit BADLY needs re tooling, upgrading, fixing, modernisation. Not just in air wing xtras, but now fixing the Hangar Bay doors into the double recessed doors with oval ends, and even a partial hangar bay would be almost necessary. Getting rid of the barrel ribs around the raft canisters to create a proper smooth surface would be really nice....everyone seems to miss that. There are NO double rims going around these! Adding more 'ice cream' domes fore and aft of the island would be nice, and a larger correct decal sheet would be HUGE. Maybe some hawsepipes at the bows too, hmmmm???
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
Oh yeah, one last thing TWO more rudders. CVN 65 was the only nuke carrier to get 4 rudders in total. NOT hard to do.
 _GOTOTOP