_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
North Sea & Nowegian waters: what color?
rea00cy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
This subject came into discussion on the recently posted photos of my DKM Prinz Eugen Model.
Fellow modeler David Salvin called my attention regarding the color of the water in that diorama. He said it is way out too light blue. I agreed that I didn't pay the necessary attention to this detail. David mentioned that these waters are normally much darker, actually a very dark blue green.
Now I'm making another Kriegsmarine diorama depicting an scenario in the English channel. the North Sea or the North Atlantic close to Norway. I just changed the color of this diorama as shown in the images below.
What do you think mates? I'm getting closer to the color of the water for the scenario I'm willing to represent?
Original

to this:

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jorge Augusto
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 07:16 PM UTC
sea color depends upon a lot of variables. I am sure i don't even know the half of it. Closer to land would brown or green the water a bit due to sediment. depth definitely has an effect....the shallower the lighter usually. time of year wind light....on and on. Personally i like your second choice better.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC
The other big effect on the sea colour is the sky, having been in Northern waters, on bright day the sea can be a very deep intense blue, with heavy overcast it is more of a washed out slightly greenish grey, and anywhere in between.

I think the first one is too bright, the second is good though

Si
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 11:34 PM UTC
I agree with Stev Simon the second does look better here is photo of RNLI severn class in North Sea waters just of the North East coast on a Good day
rea00cy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Thank you for your comments and info, mates!

Never seen other than tropical waters and blue/sun shining skies in RL.

Happy modeling,

Jorge Augusto
 _GOTOTOP