_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
last build of 2010
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hello there, this is my rather large 1-700 Ise by Hasegawa, believe it or not, there's 3 shades of grey on this model making up quite a bit of shadowing and weathering, my new camera doesn't appear to haev picked that out.
Ise 011
Ise 010
Ise 038
I would normally give this a hard rust weathering, but using a light grey on top of another darker grey, I actually achieved some rather good shading, the rigging I don't dead straight as I believe this doesn't look right on a ship that is forever moving one way or another, stress and strain on those tought cables wouldn't be a good idea.
Ise 043
This was my very first IJN battleship in 1-700, and 12 inches in length, this was quite a large build, and as I said, this is also my last build of 2010.
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 02:14 AM UTC
Al that looks pretty nice!I have one question though is the flight deck just gray?it seems they usually have some color or white lines?If so,I myself (and probably get shot down) took some artistic license there but other than that looks very nice Sir.I have the same kit in the stash and seem to at ine time of located a 1/700 PE kit out HL in Japan @a price.Cheers
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
The lines should actually be removed as these are rails for the aircraft to be pulled/pushed along, slightly raised, as for the colour, this is difficult as with most ships of the day, the decks tend to be of one colour, take the light brown of the IJN hatches, winches you name it would be painted, with my builds, I always do my best to highlight these, I brought this kit from ebay £30.90 inc shipping, this came with PE, on my Ise, the whole front section rail sections require removing due to me being lazy, the rails that came with the kit has a tab on the bottom, these were more trouble then they were worth to remove, so they stayed, I might, might not remove these as this battleship is my model and how I believe she would have looked, in fact there are many people that believe the Ise never carried the full airwing.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Al;

She looks great. I'm a big 1/700 IJN fan, and building my fleet. I do want this kit. Your deck looks real good. Do you paint by brush, airbrush, can or all of the above?

Thank you,

Sam
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hello Sam - I normally try using 2 shades of brown, at the moment I am getting some good results with Warhammer paint, this you can apply as a thin coat, wipe off and then apply another shade of brown, in different places you can get a nice dirty patch where people walk, and weathering patches while keeping the same overall colour. Of course this is how I paint, there's so many people out there much, much better then me, but as I always say, I build for me and what I feel is good enough, not the sort of thing serious hobby foke want to read.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:15 PM UTC
Nice photos of a very good looking build Alec!
cheers,
Julian
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Sam - I normally try using 2 shades of brown, at the moment I am getting some good results with Warhammer paint, this you can apply as a thin coat, wipe off and then apply another shade of brown, in different places you can get a nice dirty patch where people walk, and weathering patches while keeping the same overall colour. Of course this is how I paint, there's so many people out there much, much better then me, but as I always say, I build for me and what I feel is good enough, not the sort of thing serious hobby foke want to read.

Then me and you Al have some similiarities in the fact for me at least I'm not a real in depth research guy just my weakness I guess.So I building for myself I guess in that regard.I have to many kits and not enough time and plus I like to keep my hands busy and have results that are pleasing to the viewers eyes.So do I have mistakes? oh yea every model probably has one atleast we'll just call it "the Persian rug flaw" again nice build and thanks for the clarifcation on the deck.Cheers
 _GOTOTOP