Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Revell 1/144 Fletcher build
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 12:29 AM UTC
Great work Julian, it's huge!! Wouldn't have room for it in my place... I can reccommend Floating drydock's CD for the detailing. Lots off great pics and scale plans.

Cheers!
Stefan
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi Stefan, storing these monsters is a problem I agree. I checked the Floating Drydock site, is the CD a different animal to the e-book they advertise with?
Cheers,
Julian
EODGoat
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Looks Great Julian! FYI on the ladder colors...I'm not sure about WW II, but most ladders now are not painted. They're made out of aluminum and let that way with non-skid on the steps themselves. If they are painted, then they are painted the same color as the bulkheads. Which, in the case of today's Navy, is good ole Haze Grey. At least they were on the carriers, two destroyers and the cruise I've been on for various jobs. Looking forward to the finished project!
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Jason, thanks mate, that is the conclusion I have drawn after a lot of photo gazing and googling. Ladders are in all cases the same as the painted bulkhead behind. I am not sure if I will change things back from black though because it does accentuate the ladders this way. Should have done my research better
The finished project is still a way off yet
Cheers,
Julian
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stefan, storing these monsters is a problem I agree. I checked the Floating Drydock site, is the CD a different animal to the e-book they advertise with?
Cheers,
Julian

Yes, that's the one. I looked it up and was suprised to find it was from 2007. I must have bought it in a bid to get back to my Fletcher but then didn't... Another way to go would be the Squadron Fletcher booklet. Floating Drydock certainly has more details though.

Cheers!
Stefan
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 06:28 AM UTC
Ok thanks Stefan, I'll check that out. I already have the Squadron Fletcher booklet.
Cheers,
Julian
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC
Coming along very nicely Julian.....Cheers Mark
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
Wonderful work Julian!
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi Kenny and Mark, thanks guys, Wasn't too sure about the USN colors, but am reassured since I recieved the Lifecolor USN set #1 today. Colors wouldn't seem to be too far off so I'll proceed on in the direction I started in
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
February 15th update:
I have started spraying the upper decks with deck blue. I have a second batch of the same color with some white added so that I can add a faded look to the decks, (check the funnel searchlight platform).

I want to add a very used look to the underwater hull, like this photo by Steve H, (Hatter 50), 0f the Cassin Young in dock:

I have what I hope is a cunning plan to reach this effect . I have added a base coat of Vallejo Track Primer. Bear with me on this one, hope to add the next (insane?) step soon:

Worst case scenario is that I end up stripping the paint with windex, (wouldn't be the first time )
Cheers for now,
Julian
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 09:37 AM UTC
WoW! Julian you are moving right along on this one aren't you.It's all looking very good from this end Sir.I would say at the rate you are moving you are really enjoying it alot?Cheers
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Kevin, yes, a nice offering by Revell to build. I can recommend going for it. The Eduard PE is a relief after the Fujimi "scrap iron" too
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC
February 19th update:
Started painting and glazing decks, deck blue with a burnt sienna glaze to give a used effect:

I have finished the underwater hull, (well except for a few odds and ends and an overspray of matt varnish. I am quite happy with the effect, maybe a slightly more faded tone underneath the anti fouling would have looked better but for this go I am keeping it:

All for now,
cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 03:10 AM UTC
February 20th update: This is where the build starts becoming the "Chevalier" instead of a plastic hull. Lots of serious masking and spraying the past two days. I need to do some minor touch ups before I mask the entire outside hull and spray the deck "deck blue":

The glaze on the upper decks worked out fine. It pokes you in the eye at the moment but when more superstructure and weapons are added it will fade back a bit and just look nicely used:

I am quite happy with the results so far.
Cheers,
Julian
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
She is looking great Julian. Looking forward to seeing more.....Cheers Mark
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 08:03 PM UTC
Julian, great progress. The hull red looks great. Will you be "dirtiying" it up some more? I certainly am learning a lot for my Indy.

Tha Lifecolor set seems worth getting, better than trying to mix the right tone from Tamiya colors... Is Lifecolor compatible with any other brand (Vallejo, Tamiya)?

Cheers!
Stefan
Hatter50
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
Model Shipwrights: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:10 PM UTC
Julian,

I've been torn on just how to paint and present the hull of my 144 Fletcher. You have hit the nail on the head. It looks wonderful. I also like the subtle weathering of the Deck Blue.

Regards
Steve
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi Mark, thanks for dropping in for quick look

Hi Stefan, will I be dirtying her? You bet, I was a bit wary at first because of the photos of pristine finish US navy vessels just about everywhere online. It didn't fit with the idea I had of hard worked ships that had a lot of time spent in an inhospitable climate, in action, no time for painting etc. They would look the part but I needed to find the photo to help me out. Well, I found it, in Kodachrome too:

This is the effect I want to reach, a war battered workhorse, (thoroughbred of course ). Lifecolor paints are thinner than the Vallejo and Tamiya acrylic offerings. With a brush you will need a couple of coats to get it to cover. Sprayed it's magic, hardly needs thinning. Great stuff.

Hi there Steve, glad to read your comments, I was thinking of your fantastic build when I was pottering away this weekend. Revell offered to send me a spare hull for 25 Euro's but in the end I didn't dare to take the big step you did. I really think if you try this masking liquid effect on your oilcanned hull you will have a winner. If you need details of the effect PM me.

Looking at references I have pooched the camo on Chevalier The navy blue band on the hull finishes too high on the bow, (on mine about 50/50 dark blue and blue gray while it should have been 40/60 or maybe even 30/70). I am gathering courage to either go on in again and correct it or leave it as it is. Oh, the dillema
Cheers guys,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
February 22nd update: I corrected the navy blue band. Deck painted deck blue and some fading added with the lightened batch of deck blue. The "Chevy" is now ready for some grey glazing on the walkways on deck and when that has dried some washing and glazing with burnt sienna:

cheers,
Julian
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC
Getting better and better each time I see it Julian.....Cheers Mark
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
Thanks Mark, now time for some serious weathering
Cheers !
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
February 25th update: just some small bits and pieces, anchors fitted, plastic chain replaced by the real deal and some grey paint and washing:

cheers,
Julian
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:28 AM UTC
She is coming along nicely...

and I have to say your treatment of the decks is also looking better now - to be honest I did not like it in the first shots at all. But now I do see the merits of it.

Harm
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks Harm! As I said: it pokes you in the eye at first but as you add more bits and pieces it fades and just looks well used. Mind you, it is an easy way to ruin a build if things go pear shaped.
Cheers,
Julian
johndon
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
Nice work Julian - I have to admit I wasn't to impressed with the glaze on the deck when you first showed it but it has 'settled down' very nicely.

John