_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Fuso
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
The deck of the IJN Fuso was is all one colour, or broken up, wooden, lino which would be a brownish colour, for some reason beyond me, where metal flight deck would be on either heavy cruiser or battleship this area would be painted a different colour to the rest of the deck.
Battleship Fuso - from stem to stern what was the colour of her deck ?
Look forward to your reply.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
I hope I got your question correctly/understood your problem correctly, but having looked at the instructions of both the Aoshima 1/350 Kongo and Takao it depends on the ship:

Takao: Flightdeck in Kure grey (same colour as superstructure decks) - but this is based on pure color-id/comparison. No paint-numbers are given, and my Japanese is non-existent.

Kongo: Flightdek in linoleum (red brown, Mr. Color 47). Main deck wood. Other decks Dark Grey 2 (Mr. Color 83).

So I would guess colour difference is a reflection of the difference in surface.

Fuso itself apparently had a wooden deck (Fujimi sells one).

This is what another modeller - John Domen - made of the ship:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/ijn/fuso-250-jd/jd-index.html

I hope this helps.

Harm
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 11:17 AM UTC
No you're fine, apparently Fuso had a complete wooden deck inc the wooden colour, my first thought were linoleum was painted on light/heavy cruisers, even some destroyers, and while there are many good looking Fuso models out there, I wanted to make sure its all wooden colour and not part and part as are the heavy cruiser.
I've been hunting around on the internet, viewing varied completed models, and all regardless of year go with wooden decking.
Thank you for the info.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi Alec,

I understand your hesitation - and it would be a shame to ruin a beautiful and expensive model by giving it a completely incorrect deck.

It seems that an additional dead giveaway for the linoleum decks are the strips (apparently brass) that fixed the Linoleum to the ship). As for instance obvious on the Kongo flight-deck and the whole length of the Takao - deck.

Cheers,

Harm

bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 01:12 AM UTC
IJN Fuso 003
This is my 4 days of IJN Fuso and no matter how I view this battleship, its still a very nice looking ship, there were a couple of pix showing this as a mixed colour steel and brownish colour, but more leaned toward a complete wooden deck which I finally decided upon.
IJN Fuso 009
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 03:13 AM UTC
Very nicely sone. I just love how the Japs did things differenlt. Smoetimes I wonder how the Pagodas just don't fall over with their size and shape.....Cheers Mark
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nicely sone. I just love how the Japs did things differenlt. Smoetimes I wonder how the Pagodas just don't fall over with their size and shape.....Cheers Mark

The pagoda falling off would probably not happen (seeing how they are basically encapsulated A-frames) until long after the ship itself had rolled over...

The A-frame supports are visible on the Fuso (enlarge the images) and also on the Nagato.

Harm
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 10:12 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The pagoda falling off would probably not happen (seeing how they are basically encapsulated A-frames) until long after the ship itself had rolled over...

Actually, you might want to read a copy of Anthony Tulley's recent release, "The Battle of Surigao Strait".

It seems that in US Navy interviews with the few surviving crew members of the Fuso and Yamashiro, that in at least one incident, a pagoda indeed was observed going over before sinking occured. This may not be surprising when you read the accounts of the horendous punishment which those two ships took before going under that night.

Perhaps this is nit-picking, but as the name suggests...pagodas are my thing.
 _GOTOTOP