_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Need recommendation on air brush kit
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
I recently bought an Aztec Starter Air Brush set (Testors) and it has been a horror story. First, when I opened the box, the air brush parts, hose, tips, bottle, etc. weren't in the box. Testors made good on it and shipped the missing parts. I just got the kit ready to test, going strictly by their directions. When I started the compressor, it ran rough so I shut it down after about 20 seconds. I reviewed the directions, checked everything over and started it again. Same thing....ran rough. After about 15 seconds it shut itself down and I haven't been able to restart it after 4 hours.

I am not looking for advice on what might be wrong with this rig. I have proclaimed it a POS and will be sending it back. I will be wanting to upgrade to a better airbrush, maybe in the $150 to $200 range. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
ridders
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC
hi, i only have experience of aerograph brush and mini compressor. but on other modelling sites there is fair amount of chat about prose and cons of various air brush setups and problems.perhaps i have been lucky and had no problems with brush, any probs i have had are down to me.ie paint mix. running compressor to long without water trap. hope you get more feed back. tom
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 12:38 PM UTC
For me I found a Paasche VL set on sale at a local art store for $99, and I use the Aztek compressor with built in tank that I bought at a LHS for abot $200. I know it is a little more then you mentioned, but I had used the cheaper Testors compressor for a while, and found air pressure issues that affected my painting. Since getting the compressor/tank combo, I have had no issues.

madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 04:02 PM UTC
Of all the airbrushes I had, I would still recommend my first one - a Tamiya HG Superfine airbrush. I have also been happy with an Iwata compressor.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC
I got my compressor out of Hobby lobby. Seems they have a pretty nice one for around $150. Been a few years since I looked so it may have gone up. As to the airbrush itself. What are you doing with it. Super fine detail work. then yea an Iwata double action. Me, I don't need super fine work, so I have the Paasche h series. I can change the tips out (i thnk $12 a set) so i can do a fine line camo on a 35th King tiger or using the medium, spray a 350 scale battle ship hull.
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies and good info.

First, I'd like to express how disappointed I am with the Testor's rig I sent back. All in all, one month's time wasted. I got what I paid for. My bad. First time.....shame on them, second time, shame on me. I won't be enjoying anymore Testor's products.

I ordered a Paasche single action airbrush with a good compressor. I paid more than twice as much as the Testor's POS. I think this rig will be what I need for the immediate future. Live and learn. Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP