_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Trumpeter 1/350 Roma Italian Navy
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!!

That dark smoke on the horizon is none other than Trumpeter''s newest 1/350 warship, RM Roma. Check the story inside for Deatils!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 06:26 AM UTC
Wonderful news! We'll probably see her before the Queen Elizabeths come out.

--Karl
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
How long have we been waiting for this kit? I'm so excited I think this has made my day!!

Thanks so much for posting this news, along with the MSRP and released date! Though I'm super excited I'll believe it when I finally have this bad boy in my hands!

Awesome!

Now... Who's going to do the update set?? I guess we'll wait and see...
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 11:06 PM UTC
I am kind of sad it's a Trumpi release. I'd rather have a Dragon kit instead. ... but hey, modlling is supposed to be a challenge, righ?

Guido
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC
In my opinion Dragon kits are more detailed out of the box, but they are a bit over engineered. Comparing the two recent DKM DDs that are out is an easy way to see this. They are both nice kits one is just more involved.

Also scuttlebutt says the 1/700 Roma is in containers headed to distributors.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC
This is good news. have always liked the lines of this class.

Yet another battlewagon to find the funding for!

Happy days

Si
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
Well, I don't hink anyone here has to doubt my reaction to this. After all, i was the one who got direct contact from the guys at Trumpeter 2 years ago that this was in the works.

This has been #1 on my wish list for 5 years. i've already got a pre-preorder in with Freetime.
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC
Oh at last, this has made my year.
Mind you would like the Littorio, so conversion or will Trumpeter release the Littorio as another boxing?
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh at last, this has made my year.
Mind you would like the Littorio, so conversion or will Trumpeter release the Littorio as another boxing?

Hard to say what Trumpeter will do. I am glad to see new ships like this, but it is hard to say if they will do another ship in the class.

warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 12:39 AM UTC
Personally I am pleased that it is not Dragon who have released this kit because had they done so I would have run a mile due to the absurd asking prices for Dragon kits here in the UK.

Here. you can buy two Trumpeter Zerstorers for the price of one Dragon offering but the problem is, there simply isn't twice the value for money in a Dragon kit.

Also, Dragon's assembly instructions leave much to be desired in terms of their content, or lack of in many cases, which leave the modeller wondering just where some of the pieces go!

All ahead full for Trumpy's forthcoming QE kit too!
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
Indeed, there is no doubt in my mind that one would have had to pay 30 or 40 Euro more for a Dragon kit, but now you will probably invest that amount into buying putty, twice that money's worth into blood, sweat, and tears and still have a high probability to shove the thing back into the box, anyway. I am sorry, but I have had nothing but dissappointments from anything with the name Trumpeter on it for the past 3 years. Most recent example is said destroyer. What many call overengineering in Dragoin kits is IMHO underengineered in Trumpi kits.
Of cause I am not saying this to dis anyone here. It is just my opinion based on my experience.
Anyway, I charish the challenge to make anything reasonable out of a Trumpeter kit these days.
Steve, please don't mention Britsh light and heavy cruisers to them, if they ask otherwise we may never get a decent one in plastic.

Cheers,
Guido
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
You are safe there Guido. I think I am pretty happy right now for my wish list. The next item i=on the agenda is a 350 Baltimore class. That is likelyas they have already done it in 700.

While I tend to agree that there have been problems with a lot of theTrumpy kits, the last one I built...the Spee went together quite well. I added the wooden deck to it and minimal putty
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
I have been very happy with Trumpeter's recent 1/350 kits, their Admiral, Hipper, Prinz Eugen, HMS Hood & Repulse are great kits, with good instructions and some welcome extra PE, including ship's railings, which Dragon's recent Scharnhorst kit doesn't.

Having watched several Scharnhorst builds on the web, and the ensuing guessing game with the instructions, I regret that it was Dragon who released the kit, since it is a subject which I would have liked, but I wouldn't be prepared to spend all that money only to be presented with a guessing game as to where many of the small parts should be located.

It isn't only Scharnhorst - their Z39 kit is a bit top heavy on instruction errors too, along with their CVL22 and their recent USS Benson -in this last kit, there is even a whole sprue of parts which isn't even mentioned.
Whoever writes the instructions should really have their prospective audience in mind when writing them

Oh, and putty has even been used on several Dragon Scharnhorst builds too!

I am glad that Trumpeter are doing the Roma and the forthcoming QE battleship, not only because of the costs, but also in the safe knowledge that I will actually be able to build the kit using the instructions provided!

As for future British Cruiser subjects, I just dread the day that Dragon turn their attentions to a navel subject I would really like.
They have done it once with Scharnhorst - I just hope they don't go all RN Cruiser-ish when the US Destroyer variant Gravy Train runs out..
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC
OK....just put my pre-order in at Freetime Hobbies......$99.99 with 8.95 shipping in US.....get 'em now before the oil kicks them through the roof.

Dave the extra sprue was because they also did the Gleaves class which was almost identical. Dragon has a tendency to do that . I got a panther kit that had 3 gun tubes in it just becasue it used one part on the sprue. You get lots of parts box stock with their kits.

Just to hopefully stop this bashing. Years a go Tamiya started this scale but then did nothing with it after their short list of subjects. Trumpeter stepped in with first the Arizonz then releasing the Hornet, Essex then popping into the US BB's the Hood and on and on. The Japanese seeing this success finally started releasing some stuff first the Nagato then the Kongo and on and on.. THen Dragon finally entered the market. But hey their usual if its WW2 German theme other then some much needed US dd.s Fr all the years there was vrtually nothing for us large scale builders and now there is a wealth. I love it and quite honestly don't care who makes it.. I am a skilled enough modler to overcome bad fit problems (Trumpy's North Carolina) and read through difficult instructions (Dragons Tiger tank 3 in 1's)

So honestly I don't care who makes it as long as they make it

But back on track here

I GOT MINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Happy days

Si

You know, Simon, we are living in our hobby what your countrymen faced in full scale a century ago with the dreadnought-building race against Germany! I have a book with a cartoon from the era showing the launch of "HMS The Last Farthing"!

--Karl
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
That's a great price Steve - 108.94 USD = 66.9564 GBP
Half the price of Dragon's Scharnhorst kit.

If it comes out somewhere similar when Roma goes on sale here in the UK I'll be up for one too.

Do you happen to know if there's any PE included with the kit?

Let us hope they have done a good job with her.
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 03:24 PM UTC
Dave

Based on the photos I've seen online from the Nuremburg Toy show, there is a small PE fret included in the kit which basically has a simplified aircraft launch cradle, and some PE for the funnel tops...The PE looks pretty basic and extremely simplistic... Here's hoping LionRoar or Flyhawk come out with a full upgrade set within a reasonable timeline. Cheers!

Flip through a bit and you'll come across the Roma...

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_imagebrowser&view=gallery&folder=spielwarenmesse_2011&Itemid=55

Carmen
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
Carmen,
Thank you for the link.
Shame they've omitted some railings this time round.
They are the one thing which really make the finished item styand out .
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Happy days

Si

You know, Simon, we are living in our hobby what your countrymen faced in full scale a century ago with the dreadnought-building race against Germany! I have a book with a cartoon from the era showing the launch of "HMS The Last Farthing"!

--Karl

Hi Karl, you are right, but at least back then we had a government willing to give the Navy the budget to do the job, my "Goverment" at home would like to impose "defense cuts " especially expendature on larger vessels.

Still there always ways and means

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Carmen,
Thank you for the link.
Shame they've omitted some railings this time round.
They are the one thing which really make the finished item styand out .

1/350 ships are just not the same without railings. Ever since the second 1/350 ship I built, the Tamiya Tirpitz, I have used PE railings and my first ship, the Trumpy Liberty Ship, without railings, just doesn't look right..
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 - 07:46 AM UTC
I am sure someone will release a railing and additional PE. There are generic rail sets out there from Eduard and Lion roar that you can purchase for her. The kit PE set looks to have most of the "other "goodies I use. catapault, crane, stairs, radar
 _GOTOTOP