_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Enterprise vs. 1/350 Bismark
reeeedfish
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
I'm usually a 1/35 armor modeler but I want to branch out into model ships. I want a nice long build, but yet an interesting one. I wanted to either build Tamiya's 1/350 Enterprise or Tamiya's 1/350 Bismark. Also, I was considering Revell's Gato Class. Which one do you think would be the longest and most entertaining build?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 10:24 AM UTC
Well cost doesn't seem to be a factor. I would push the Revell Bismarck over the Tamiya. Time wise, the Enterprise will probably take longer. I woulod recommend a good PE set for her and getting the Trumpeter 1/350 aircraft (Tomcasts, Intruders, Hornets) if you are looking to build a reasonable airwing.

Now if you are really wanting to do somethng I would go with the Tamiya 1/350 Yamato and get the Lionroar ultimate PE set for her. That will be a challenge and take a good long while to execute well
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 07:23 PM UTC

Exactly 2 entries make this a HOT TOPIC

..... whatever.........

Misha- if you want to get really involved,

The Tamiya CVN 65 Enterprise will keep you busy - longtime.

For starters, you have to scratch-build the entire hanger deck.

There are other issues,

USS Enterprise - in detail and scale - Vol. 39, by Bert Kinzey ,

-is a good reference.
reeeedfish
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 12:00 AM UTC
I dont't feel ready for scracthbuilding yet but I think I'm going to with either the Dragon CVL-22 Independence or the Tamiya 1/350 missouri and a PE set.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
The Tamiya Missouri is an excellent kit, and depending on your tolerance for additional work (and $$) you can turn it in to a real eye stopper. The OOB kit represents the way she looked around the time she was commissioned. By the time she steamed into Tokyo Bay there were a number of minor visible changes in several places (mostly dealing with radar, fire control and some changes in the masts on both stacks) which you can see if you compare photos.

There are a lot of AM items available in PE, brass barrels AND resin which can certainly help you make this a "nice long build"

If you go that route, let me know and I'll be happy to share what I learned as I built mine.

Tom
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
Misha, I don't want to be presumptuous at all, but for your first ship build you might want to consider taking on something less ambitious than any of the possibilities you have mentioned so far. Having said that, let me say that I know nothing about armor modeling, or how it might dovetail with ship modeling. Unless you are used to long term projects with lots of parts I would suggest starting out on ships with something like a destroyer. Yes, its smaller and size wise less impressive than a battleship or aircraft carrier, but you can complete it in a reasonable amount of time and its a good way to find out if ship modeling is to your taste without sinking a ton of money into a kit and after market, and committing to a lot of work if you are going to complete her.

My personal suggestion for a lot of first time ship builders is Tamiya's 1/350 U.S.S. Fletcher. It is a great little kit with no vices and builds up into an impressive ship right out of the box. If you want to spring for some after market, Eduard makes a dedicated PE set for this kit. Yankee Model Works also makes a generic Fletcher Class PE set that will work.

I'm currently working on Trumpeter's 1/350 U.S.S. North Carolina as a build to display in my office (where my better efforts go). I have had to spring not only for the kit, which was over $100.00, but also multiple sets of PE, since each one offers something a bit different or better than the other two, as well as turned barrels for the main and secondary armament. I have at least doubled the price of the kit, not to mention paint and other consumables. Oh, and don't forget the G-Factor brass propellers, as well.

Since my modeling time is limited, and since I usually have 2 or 3 (or more) projects going on at one time, I fully expect it to take me between 3 and 4 months to get her done to the standard I want. Needless to say, she is not my first ship model. But, I think a project of this magnitude would have been a mistake for me to start out building ship kits with. I started with a smaller, quicker build that I could complete in a weeks, not months, and get a sense of whether or not this was for me, and also get some reasonably quick gratification for my efforts.

You might want to consider resisting the very real temptation (and believe me, I was tempted to start out with a monster) to start big. It might just make the difference in whether or not you ever build another ship kit again.

Bob
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi Misha:

I would go with the Bismarck. I have built the Academy Bismarck, the Tamiya Tirpitz, and they are both about the same kit. I have not built or seen the Revell Bismarck, but have read it is the acme of the Bismarck genre. A good PE set, Gold Medal Models or your favorite vendor will bring it to life. Take your time, work methodically and you will produce a nice model. If you start with something you aren't really into, you will never finish it. The Enterprise is a big build and needs a lot of TLC. Good luck with your decision making and outcome.

Best
Mark
 _GOTOTOP