_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Trumpeter Prinz Eugen Build 1/350
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
Are you sure you want to use that plastic light fixture panel for a water base? It's got a very noticeable star or flower pattern on it to diffuse the light which does not resemble water or waves very much. Some LHS's have clear wavvy pattern vacu-form sheet plastic which looks a lot better.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you sure you want to use that plastic light fixture panel for a water base? It's got a very noticeable star or flower pattern on it to diffuse the light which does not resemble water or waves very much. Some LHS's have clear wavvy pattern vacu-form sheet plastic which looks a lot better.

I used the same style of diffuser for the build I am doing in the Ships of the soviet Union campaign. Once you apply the paint to the back and vary the color underneath it looks really nice.

One problem I have is my LHS is 90 minutes away over a mountain ridge, so I try to use what I have on hand.

redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 01:12 PM UTC
The wood deck is awesome makes it pop.
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 06:04 PM UTC
This is getting interesting.

Remember that A & D turrets had top access ladders on one side only.

Best looking cruiser of WWIII (imho)
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it is steel. I think it is actually stainless. I use new blades all the time. Plus I cut it on a sheet of plexiglass.

I need to get back on this. Summer really had me running all over the place.

You may find the PE is nickel plated brass.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Golden Pony! Have you given up on your Prinze Eugen? I haven't seen any recent updates. I was following your build while making mine. I just noticed that the torpedo tubes are way undersized by comparing them to the ones on both Dragon and Trumpeter's Z destroyers - by about 1/4 inch - real size, not scale size! I don't think anyone makes AM German topedo launchers, and I would need to buy two destroyers to have enough tube sets for substitutes. I have yet to measure and see if the proper length tubes would still fit into the available space on the Prinze Eugen.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 09:42 AM UTC
I just ran and did a quick check and the destroyers' launchers will not fit in the space between the boat davits. I don't think Prinz Eugen had short torpedoes as they were all of a standard length, so trumpeter must have fudged the launcher dimensions as well as the size of the boat davits and the boat itself. It makes me ask the question "where else did Trumpeter bugger up the dimensions?"
11bravospec
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:18 AM UTC
JUst started my prinz eugen started with the super structure adding pe as I go. Have a three day wkend so alot of build time and will try an post some pics. Also finished 1/350 north Carolina that's was my first ship and it was a learning exp. Made some mistakes but did my best, the paint job was the hardest doing the measure32.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Golden Pony! Have you given up on your Prinze Eugen? I haven't seen any recent updates. I was following your build while making mine. I just noticed that the torpedo tubes are way undersized by comparing them to the ones on both Dragon and Trumpeter's Z destroyers - by about 1/4 inch - real size, not scale size! I don't think anyone makes AM German topedo launchers, and I would need to buy two destroyers to have enough tube sets for substitutes. I have yet to measure and see if the proper length tubes would still fit into the available space on the Prinze Eugen.

No, I am just too stinking busy with far too much to work on her at the moment. She is sitting there taking up most of my work bench, so I have to either finish her or pack it all up.
11bravospec
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 10:39 PM UTC
I hope you continue your build so you and i can compare each others build.
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 09:50 AM UTC
Biggles Trumpy also forgot the belt armor on the bow and stern.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
Actually the armored belt is there extending from just forward of Anton turret to aft of Dora. The belt is a rounded bulge starting from the level of the degaussing cable. As far as I know the armored belts didn't extend from stem to stern, but protected the more vulnerable areas such as main gun magazines and engine room. I might be wrong about the torpedo tubes being too short if they were 'sawed-off' ( not 'sod off'! ) to better fit the available space. A caption in Classic Warships Publication on Prinze Eugen simply states that the torpedo tubes were modified, but doesn't say in what way. But they are definately a little undersized in diameter compared to torpedo tubes both in Trumpeter's and Dragon's Z destroyers.
11bravospec
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 02:00 AM UTC
Well I had to make my way to the local hobby shop an hour away for some paint other items. I looked up at a display case and low an behold i was looking at a 1/200 arizona it was big. It got my taste buds going so i pulled the trigger and bought it. So know all i have to do is finish my prinz eugen and off to the to the races.
11bravospec
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 12:32 PM UTC
Well doing good with the prinz eugen build , put the wooden deck by pontos on and painted the hull. Still have to paint all the boats and planes.. Trying to finish so i can start on my 1/200th arizona build.
 _GOTOTOP