_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Trumpeter Prinz Eugen Build 1/350
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:07 AM UTC
Alright it is time to start this project. It has been a while in coming, but I am happy to finally get going on it. This ship is my favorite and ever since it arrived at my front door I wanted to start her. However I waited for AM items and the wait has paid off.

The base kit will be the Trumpeter 1/350 Prinz Eugen, PE, which I did an in-box review on. Next we will use the LionRoar Prinz Eugen detail set sent to me by Airbrushes.com to review and to use in this build. Lifecolor paints will be used to replicate the proper colors of the DKM. The KA-Models wooden deck will be used for all of the wooden deck sections. I will probably use some extra PE from LionRoar and Alliance Model Works to add some and L’Arsenal 3D resin figures.

No matter how well researched any kit is there are problems with it. Every kit available has problems and that is what the AM companies hope to change. On the Prinz there are several problems I noted right away and plan to fix them. There are some other areas that can be improved by adding the detail items to the kit as well.

This project will be built waterline on a water base and I hope to display one of the float planes flying. I have really bitten off a big project here and this will take me a while. I will do my best to do regular updates, but I cannot promise those.

Some of my planning includes finding just about every picture on line as I can. I also have books on the PE and of course the Volume 92 from Ray at Still Motions covering the DKM. I was even able to locate a 1/100 set of original prints online. These I have printed off on 48” long paper.

As I have said before, research, research, and more research. That is what needs to be done to build your project into something you will be happy of. I will probably not follow the instruction steps. What will happen is a series of small projects to deal with different areas of the ship.

Construction highlights 5/23/11

Reference material, LionRoar Detail Set, and Lifecolor Paint Set.

Size comparison.

Working from the hull up to some superstructure parts. More to come!!

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
Here are a list of the reviews related to this project.

LionRoar Prinz Eugen Set

Still Motions Volume 92 DVD

Trumpeter Prinz Eugen 1/350

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 08:04 PM UTC
Interesting, I for sure will follow this build, not only is the Eugen a very attractive ship, it allso looks like a ambitious build - good luck with the Lion Roar set.

Looking forward seeing your approach on the base/water.

Cheers/Jan
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 08:31 PM UTC
I have the Eugen in the stash...

I am looking forward to your build. And these ships were big... make the American San Fransisco class look like toys...
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC
Will also be following this one, working on the Hipper at the moment and have the Prinz in the stash as a future project.

Am interested to see how one of these really big etch sets works

Si
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC
Well, I am 100% for sure going to need a magnifier. Some of these parts are tiny and next to impossible to see. Also, this material is very soft. A sharp knife helps, but it is still easy to bend and mangle.

The good news is the wood deck was easy to work with. Hopefully when I get the nerve to tackle the main deck tomorrow night.

The bridge wings and small ladders are to be removed from this part.

I will admit something, this is a great deal more involved that I thought. The sets instructions are not good at all. Looking over the images of the kit with the detail set attached you notice doors added where the instructions do not point them out. So, plan, plan, plan, and plan some more.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 06:45 PM UTC
That piece of deck sure looks sweet - propably calls for carefull painting !
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 02:20 PM UTC
OK, back to the main deck tonight. I did it!!! The main deck is placed. Each section is a large sticker and to be 100% I was no where close to perfect placing them. But, I think the superstructure will hide the problems.

So, if anyone would ask my opinion about the KA wooden decks I say they are actually easy to use and well worth the money.

First test fit the section of deck and then just bite the bullet. I started with the forward section. Do not worry about the deck bunching up, it will lay flat. I used one of my wife's pottery tools to help smooth my deck. Anything that is stiff and flat will work.

Ready for pictures??

I also did some super structure work.

OK, now I have two questions.
#1. Can I use clear flat on the deck?
#2. Will the deck decals still work on the wood?

Jan - Yes, that previous section of the upper deck with the perforated deck will be interesting to paint.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 09:28 PM UTC
1: since its wood, it will react with moisture, so if airbrused on using very little I think it wil work, but go easy on the used amount for sealing and washing

2: why not ?

Slick work!

Cheers/Jan
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 12:01 AM UTC
I will give the decal a try. Worst case is I will have to remove it. That will come later on.

I think I am going to leave the deck the way it is. Since I am doing small areas and building them up I will finish those before I add them to the finished hull. I should be able to achieve the effect I am going for that way.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 06:38 AM UTC
Ahoy there Jim

Good project!!
A few tips (some will be a little late?) here:
- paint main colors before applying the wooden decks;
- you can use future first, on the wooden decks - it will seal the wood for washing (very light), prepare the wood for the decals too. can be sealed with matt varnish (better in two light coatings than a heavy one);
- don't forget to prime the model after fixing the PE and brass parts.

Carry on, this is a project to follow with interest
Cheers
Rui
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
I did paint the hull first and have also done the same on part of the superstructure. As fro railings was going t use the Stainless railings for the main deck, after painting them.

As for the main deck railings I believe they are to ride the rim around the outside of the hull. The upper decks will be different.

After reviewing many different images I have copied from built up kits I have found they used the deck then added the railing ontop of that.

I did not think of using a thin coat of varnish to seal the deck. Yes, that will help with the decals.

To be 100% honest, this project is above my skill level. I am learning to pace myself and also learning how to do many do the detailing as I go. SO suggestions are welcome. Part of why I decided to do this project is to let builders with lesser skills know, you can make the jump. It is NOT easy, but ti can be done.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

maybe more time consuming than you had anticipated?

Very much so. When I was doing the turrets my wife was doing pottery. She was suprised how little I was able to get done. But, this will keep me off the streets!

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 04:11 AM UTC
Nice going so far Jim, will be an interesting blog to follow,
Julian
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 05:10 AM UTC
Jim, great work so far. I have not yet tackled a wood deck, so I'm watching your build closely to see how it goes. One of my projects in the planning stage is Hornet and I'm thinking about doing her flight deck in wood.

I think its important for us to do exactly what you are doing on Eugen, getting outside of our comfort zones and having a go at something that is a challenge to our skill sets. That is how we become better modelers. I we just stick with what we know we can do well we'll never grow in the hobby and find out just what we can do. I've found that there is a great sense of satisfaction that comes from trying something I haven't done before, dealing with the challenge and sometimes frustration of learning a new skill, and pulling it off with an acceptable degree of success.

Keep up the great work and I'll be looking forward to your next update.

Bob
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 12:30 PM UTC
Great work so far Jim.

This is one ship I've had in the stash for a while with the KA wooden deck and WEM PE so I'll be watching your build closely.

Keep pushing those boundaries-the sky's the limit!

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 05:06 PM UTC
Lovely work so far. Will watch this one with interest.....Cheers Mark
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
I an SO surprised how much better I can see the parts now. I purchased a magnifier this weekend and it helped me out so much I cannot get over it.

I started on the forward radar and the funnel today.

This part too for ever to get together. After I did get the first and last cross parts in it was cake.

The funnel will take some more work tomorrow. If I get lucky I can have that done by mid week.

I have noticed there are very bad fit problems with many of the parts. There are also many mold seams to be taken care of.

Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
You are coming along nicely Jim. I am trying to work out what that triple triangle piece of PE is. Baffles for in the stack?
Julian
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 07:26 AM UTC
Yes, that is for the stack.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 07:32 AM UTC
Nice !
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:00 PM UTC
This is looking like a very nice, and strong build, planning ahead is great, I only wish I could do that instead of jumping in with all guns blazing. Seriously though, I have considered building this model for some time, but just not sure about it, love the close up photo's, so many times people with the greatest intention will take a photograph and the viewer normally ends up with a small over exposed photo, and yes, its very hard getting that good photo. With some cheek, and a heavy hint, when this fine ship is finished, could you please allow us some close-ups.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC
Alec,

I will be sure to give some good shots of her. I have found the trick to good photos is take plenty. When I shoot a few dozen I will end up with a couple decent photos. digital storage is cheap.

_GOTOTOP