_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
Why is my ship more famous then yours ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hello there, with some luck this will recieve many viewers and with more luck those people will be able to give the following information -
A fun weekend although I am working as usual, nevertheless, I thought of this little thing. Name a warship and tell us why it should be famous and turned into a scale model so hobby seeking people like us can attempt to build it.
First off a name of a ship. 2nd in your view (couldn't care less about anyone else, in your view) what makes is famous.
I'll obviously go first -
HMS Warspite, fired her guns in anger throughout 2 World Wars.
Nice and easy, not looking to write war and peace, all info is via the internet these days, so a name, and why you believe its famous. Please nothing else.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 07:48 PM UTC
I'll bite:

HMS Furious, took part in both World Wars, was one of the first aircraft carriers and my grandfather sailed on her during WW II. (I'll settle for 1/350th scale Alec
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 07:57 PM UTC
Fantastic ship even better reason.
I was hoping with fingers crossed this little fun weekend would show several people not only telling everyone what they would regard as a very good ship, but why they thought that.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 08:27 PM UTC
It has allways been a mystery to me, that the type IX submarines only have been reprecented in 1:350. being the main wessel in operation Paunkeslag - the attack on the US shipping - and with a surviving sample in Chicago it has puzzled me, that it hasnt been done in 1:144 or 1:72.

The years 1880-1910 has allso missed some attention in styrene - bronco is bringing us some chinese wessels - but where is the KUK ships etc..

cheers/Jan
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 09:51 PM UTC
Jan - are you saying the German submaries are your pick (WW1 or 2) ?
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC
OK for my 2 Cents worth here we go and all of them are in 1-350 Scale. HMS Nelson or HMS Rodney because of their unique design. The Liner Andrea Doria because of her beauty and her tragic End. The 2 Queens (Mary and Elizabeth) for obvious reasons. And last but not least the British Carrier HMS Ark Royal.....Cheers Mark
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 11:42 PM UTC
Just been on the internet - HMS Centurion - wow what a great ship, the story is something I have never heard about, I wish, you're never know how much I wish for something like this to have been a floating musuem, that last post, I was just ''upping'' my stakes with a good HMS Nelson when Mark beat me to it.
I'd better get some work done. Later people.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC
Are we talking about nice, affordable (ha) plastic?

USS Utah, sunk at Pearl Harbor with a loss of life of over 50 sailors. She ended her days as a training vessel for both gunnery and bombing. Her legacy lived on in the success of AA crews and dive bomber pilots in the early stages of the war in the Pacific.

Pensacola class heavy cruisers, USS Pensacola and USS Salt Lake City. Between the two they were almost everywhere in the Pacific; Pearl Harbor, Doolittle raid, all the way to Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

A nice LCI in 1/72 or 1/144 would be really great.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
USS Hartford, Sloop of War, Farragut's Flagship at the capture of New Orleans after running the forts at the mouth of the Mississippi, where the squadron also took on the ironclad CSS Manasas. Going aground she was hit by a fire raft which her crew calmly extinguished, despite considerable fire aboard ship. She participated in a number of attempts to take Vicksburg. In 1864 while still Farragut's flagship she led the attack on Mobile Bay, leading to Farragut's famous phrase, on seeing the monitor Tecumseh sunk, "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!" In the bay she was attacked by CSS Tennessee, an ironclad, but forced the Tennessee (along with other Union Ships) to surrender.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 01:28 PM UTC
In 1:350 a cage mast battleship famous , well the Tennessee and California were both at Pearl and were resurrected and fought at the end of the war. The WVA and Maryland as well
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 04:20 PM UTC
hey Alec you just stirred up a hornets nest over on Modelwarships forum, here we go again here?
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hello Ray - did you have choice of ship ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Steve - sorry to write via this thread, and was wondering about those caged mast, I know you said 1-350, and I have seen a few models, but in 1-700 would you know if they come with a PE kit, or is the whole mast something I'd have to buy ? The reason I ask, I am constantly on ebay, I can't find anything like it, and thought its worth me asking you.
All the best.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
I never checked it out Alec. I kind of ignore that scale pretty much. I do think I have seen a PE set for one though that does the cage. Might be a resin one though
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
While I feel I shouldn't be writing this, as no doubt everyone will say, its what I asked for.
May I say ''thank you'' to everyone for their nomanated ship and reason why they picked it, its most certainly opened my eyes to an ever encreasing range of possible model ships to be produced by major compaines, and some cloaked in historic 1800's arms race.
Thank you.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 03:28 AM UTC
HMS Warrior, First Iron hulled ocean going battleship in the world. And still in existance.

Never fired her guns in anger, obsolete within 10 years, but for the first 6 months of her life she is one of the few ships in the world that could claim to be Invicible.

As he was a leap forward in size and firepower, quite an arrogant statement about Britians industrial power, to keep up the Royal Navy's lead over her nearest rivals.

Si
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi Alec:

I would nominate USS Montrose, APA 212, it was a Haskell class APA, her sister ship USS Randall appeared in the movie "Away all boats". Montrose served in direct support of three conflicts and was unceremoniously scraped 2 November 1970, 25 years to the day after being commissioned. A 1/350 model of this would make a great companion to the Trumpeter Jeremiah Obrien.

Mark Krumrey
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC
I saw the thread over at the other site. Some of those people are touchy!

But, remember there is NOTHING wrong with a discussion. Just do not take anything personal.

As for ship models I am fairly happy. I have my Prinz Eugen, Graf Spee and Bismarck.

sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 07:49 PM UTC
CV6 USS Enterprise.

Taxpayers money well spent. Her aircraft dismantled a lot of enemy shipping, planes, and ground targets.

Was at one point the only operational American carrier left in the Pacific.

Why she was not preserved as a memorial still baffles me.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC
I think I'd have to put forward HMS Jamaica, ideally in 1/700 waterline or 1/600 full hull (bigger would be better but i just dont have the display space). Jamaica played an important role in the protection of the arctic convoys. particularly the battle of the barents sea and north cape. Plus, my moms uncle served aboard her during the war
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
U.S.S. Alaska -

Only 2 battlecruisers of her type ever constructed. Beautiful ship with bite. Great history during WW2.

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 01:00 PM UTC
The WWI Armoured Cruiser HMS Kent from Battle of the Falkland Islands November 11th 1914.

SMS Nürnberg had a 10 mile led on Kent and was, on paper, faster, but Nürnberg needed an engine overhaul and Kent's crew worked so hard that the old cruiser exceeded her designed horsepower, reaching 25 knots, being forced to burn all available wood on board and causing the whole ship to vibrate violently, also all the crew not employed in duties sat on the quarter deck to help the screws bite and raise the bow.

In 1/350 plastic
EODGoat
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 12:07 AM UTC
USS Enterprise (CVN-65). She's been just about everywhere, from the Cuban Missile Crisis to Vietnam to dropping bombs in Afghanistan. AND...she's even a movie star (Top Gun anyone?) She's currently on deployment yet again. She's a grand old lady and one of most beautiful ships I've ever seen! Proud to say she was my 1st ship in the Navy! 1/350 would be just fine!
 _GOTOTOP