_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
First look my Kongo
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 06:21 AM UTC

Kongo 1940's 018 by warship, on Flickr
Above is my just finished 1-700 IJN Kongo, basically built straight out of the box using only very basic etch.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
Nice one Alec. Now spill the beans sir. How did you rig the antenna on the mast on "D " turret? I tried this with the Fujimi PE on my Haruna and the mast fell over faster than France in 1940. Explain yourself sir ! (nice work though !)
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
OHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh don't know about that ----- well, considering its you, well okay then.
Please bare with me while I ramble on a bit, you'll no doubt pick out the bits you want, and that will be that. Anyway, antenna is constantly falling over due to its design, having those silly thin legs don't help, also fold as instructed and place on a flat card or board and ''watch' it fall over, you're actually watching for the low or high side of the tripod legs, the turret is normally shaped which means sometimes two legs are longer then one, using PVA glue very carefully dip each leg in, place the antenna (after obviously twisting the top round) on the turret, you will know by now which leg is longer or shorter therefore you should know which way round it will go and stand up straight. If it falls off again, DON'T remove the excess PVA leave it in place, re-dip those legs and attach, then you must leave it to completely dry. The big problem with PVA is once its completely gone off, you're be very lucky to recover any PE without destroying it first, the glue as I am sure you already know will dry clear, a little paint or weathering and no one will even know its there.
I hope this has gone way to answering your question. My wife often asks me why I write 10 words when 2 should do lol.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:07 PM UTC
I have to say it looks really good...

Also, the rear gun-arrangement is rather odd.... somehow I keep getting images in my head of the fleatplane being blasted into oblivion, presumably by accident, by fire from C-turrent.

Cheers,

Harm
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 10:41 PM UTC
In many ways throughout WW2 Japan did some remarkable things with their surface ships, turning the odd one or two into carriers, a huge battleship used to lunch aircraft that could not land except on the water where'd they had to be recovered, and 25mm machine cannons right next a 18'' main gun, no one would be firing that machine gun while the main gun was firing. Its almost like someone came along doing their best to improve whatever they had, and afterwards stood back - Oh boy am I going to get now - sort of thing. The small section where the aircraft is stationed, the blade spinning and someone in a rush comes hurried up those steps, or while having a cup of tea accidentally leans against a leaver, rotating the turret knocking off the aircraft.
The strange thing is, in my imagination I can actually see someone doing that LOL
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh don't know about that ----- well, considering its you, well okay then.
Please bare with me while I ramble on a bit, you'll no doubt pick out the bits you want, and that will be that. Anyway, antenna is constantly falling over due to its design, having those silly thin legs don't help, also fold as instructed and place on a flat card or board and ''watch' it fall over, you're actually watching for the low or high side of the tripod legs, the turret is normally shaped which means sometimes two legs are longer then one, using PVA glue very carefully dip each leg in, place the antenna (after obviously twisting the top round) on the turret, you will know by now which leg is longer or shorter therefore you should know which way round it will go and stand up straight. If it falls off again, DON'T remove the excess PVA leave it in place, re-dip those legs and attach, then you must leave it to completely dry. The big problem with PVA is once its completely gone off, you're be very lucky to recover any PE without destroying it first, the glue as I am sure you already know will dry clear, a little paint or weathering and no one will even know its there.
I hope this has gone way to answering your question. My wife often asks me why I write 10 words when 2 should do lol.

Hi Alec, no, that part is clear, fitting the mast is no problem but putting the antenne line to thye mast on top of the tower is. Did you use line or stretched sprue?
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 06:29 PM UTC
Stretched melted plastic, secure one end with PVA allow to go off, very small blob at the location, attach, joss stick smoke thingy, then, and only then repeat for the run towards the flag staff. You'll be making 2 runs of the same line, I tried doing this in one hit, but had problems of one line snapping under the smoke of the joss stick.
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Thanks Alec, clear. I even considered replacing part of the PE mast with brass rod. Thanks mate !
Julian
 _GOTOTOP