_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Qestion on HM Roma
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC
With father's day fast approaching I have done a crafty one, and secured the Trumpy 1-700 Roma.
However I have rased a question as to how many red stripes there should be, or suppose to be on the forward plate.
Not wishing to follow box art or other builds, I have noticed between 8 full lines and slight corners, to 5 full red lines plus corners, the following CAD photo is simply that, a very good computer drawn photo. What I would really like, is someone to confirm by original photo how many lines there should be.

RM%20Roma by warship, on Flickr
Already rasied other questions as to how this would be painted, you can't really mask it due to many upright parts, unless of course you remove them and re-apply. Hand painting posible, but again very slow going.
For now though please - confirm how many red barber stripes no the front plate of Roma there should be, and please if possible an original photo showing this.
Look forward to your reply.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hello Al,
In my Janes Battleship it shows 5 red/white strips on the front and 5 red/white on the back in 1941-43.
I think I can scan the drawling shoeing the it, if you want me to.
Cheers,
Bruce
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC
Yes please - would love to see it.
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hello Alec,
here is the photo, sorry about being late i forgot.
It is also the R.N. Roma not the H.N. Roma
Cheers,
Bruce
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 05:25 PM UTC
No problem - many thanks for posting.
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hello Alex,
Does it work for you or do you need the other page also. It is nor problem, Miss Mary does all of the scaning for me.
Cheers,
Bruce
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 10:52 PM UTC
Well actually --------------- no that's okay, if you're not sure what's going on, the battleship Roma had a number of stripes across its forward plate, and wanted to know how many that was, with a supporting photo. Being Father's Day on the 19th, I've wangled it so I've actually got the 1-700 Trumpy model, and wanted this for my stash (to be built at a much later date) however, the more I look into this model and its camo, the more likely it is I'll end up building it.
The information I've been asking for is slowly but surely all going away on file so I can click back at any time. Like most people, I would hate to build something and then discover I've painted too many, or not enough stripes, and as we know we can't go by the box art.
Also, there's every chance other people reading this could also use the info when they come to build their Roma.
If its not a problem, please post away, but I am basically only intrested in the camo of that new Trumpter 1-700 Roma model.
Many thanks for your help.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 01:30 PM UTC
Alec hope these are of help. I can't remember where I down loaded these from but it was some time ago.

First pic is of RM Littorio / Italia and the rest are of RM Roma.

You'll notice in the last picture it appears that the Roma has no strips! But when you study the picture you'll see that the photo was taken while she was still fitting out.

I'll check my books when I get home from work and see if I can find any more pictures of RM Roma.

RM = Regia Marina or 'Royal Navy' in english
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 12:11 AM UTC
Wonderful photographs, many, many thanks for posting.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 05:11 AM UTC
It looks like the box art is right this tie. I have never seen stripes on the back depicted
 _GOTOTOP