_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
2nd person view
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC

Yamato 032 by warship, on Flickr
Above is my Yamato just finished paint still slightly wet sort of thing, and while I enjoy displaying her among my special designed segmented diorama, I thought I'd try something slightly different, a 2nd person view of this otherwise straight view battleship model. The idea is allowing the viewer to see through the varied buildings and junk and onto and out to sea, as you would if you were walking through a dockyard/harbour. This is linked through my Flickr and you'll find another 4 photo's of the Yamato.
I would like your opinion as to what you think about this 2nd view, maybe we're so use to seeing our displayed models in open water/sea, and not having to dodge round buildings and other objects to see the whole thing, I believe the idea is quite new, and quite different. But - what do you think ? Please let me know.

Yamato 030 by warship, on Flickr
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
Love the idea Alec. At the moment you seem to be standing on a hill overlooking the harbour. I think you need to get down lower with your camera to get the "sitting on the dock of the bay" effect.
Julian
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC
I like the concept. i saw someone do a similar thing once with the Bismarck sailing down the Kiel canal. The only "critique" those are American Sherman tanks and a duece and a half.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Well we'll have allow those sleeping tanks to stay asleep lol.
The problem is moving different vehicles around, and you've quite rightly said they're not required, especially in those numbers, they are of course space fillers and not much else, or could I really have a cheek and say they've been captured and awaiting re-spray ?

Yamato 023 by warship, on Flickr
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC
Also, steam ships in port tend to have smoke coming from theri stacks. I know that might be hard to replicate, but it would also help the scene.

bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 01:49 AM UTC

LCAC seg 1 070 by warship, on Flickr
If you click onto the above photo this will open up my Flickr site where you'll find another 3 such like photo of 2nd person view.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
I like that view! It's great to see the ship itself, but in my opinion, the space around the ship adds to (or in some cases, detracts from) the overall scene, depth, and impression that the model gives its audience. Looking at your dio here reminds me of walking down Manhattan and seeing the USS Intrepid come into view. Looking between buildings and spotting a vessel in the distance leaves one with such a unique feeling!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 12:00 PM UTC
very impressive view,it does help to put things into perspective as to the size of the beast.
 _GOTOTOP