_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
canopy lines
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 06:54 AM UTC
How many of you out there are putting canopy lines on your 350 scale aircraft? More importantly, how do you do it? My eyes and steadiness are suspect to doing this kind of super detailing and i was hoping someone has a trick that lends to things not looking like a blob.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hello Steve,
I have been using an extra fine marker pen from Office Depot with Magnifying Glasses. You can get them in just about any color and I keep some 91% rubbing alcohol near by to clean up if needed. But first I use Future on them so I do not cloud the canopy. The rubbing alcohol will not not mar the Future as far as I can tell. Try 1 first to make sure it will work for you.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Bruce
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
that sounds like a plan. I'll check it out today as i am going in that area
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 08:26 AM UTC
OK several hours later......I purchased an ultra fine black sharpie and proceeded to mark a plane i did several years back on my first carrier....The Essex. The results were quite acceptable.....so we have a new skill. I marked the rest of the aircraft on her. I'll have to check around for more colors at an Office Depot or Max later on.
smithrp
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Steve: I give my canopy's a coat of Tamiya "smoke". It will fill in the canopy lines and it tints the canopy which gives it the illusion of depth into the cockpit. Bob
 _GOTOTOP