_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ICM KRONPRINZ DIT
dman57
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 11:13 AM UTC
Anybody built the ICM Kronprinz? I just ordered this kit from FreeTime Hobbies not only because I liked the looks of it, but because it was on sale. There is only one review that I found of it on ModelWarships. Just wondering what any fellow ship modelers experience was with this kit..Thanks
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 06:11 PM UTC
I build the Markgraff some years ago with the WEM etch set - its a fine set, but takes a bit more effort than Hasagawa and the likes. Only really challange I met was the fit of the superstructure/kassemate on the deck - aside from that the only work was a bit more puttying and sanding.

I builds into a beautifull ship. The mast are quite thin, and would benefit from being replaced with brass tubing.

Cheers/Jan
dman57
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
Thanks Jan, I also ordered the Hasagawa Mikasa kit. Just wanted to do something besides WW2 stuff
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hello Derek,
I have the 1 of the 4 of the class. i am going to get the othe 3 along with with the PE from WEM and put them steaming abreast on the way to Jutland.
That is in the future ( about 1-3 years from now) as I need to build a larger display case for the. I am been gather everything I can find on the class including a tech book published in 1924 in German that is being translated for me.
I think that they are a good set of models with the right reference and Patience.
Good look on your build,
Cheers,
Bruce
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Derek,
I have the 1 of the 4 of the class. i am going to get the othe 3 along with with the PE from WEM and put them steaming abreast on the way to Jutland.
That is in the future ( about 1-3 years from now) as I need to build a larger display case for the. I am been gather everything I can find on the class including a tech book published in 1924 in German that is being translated for me.
I think that they are a good set of models with the right reference and Patience.
Good look on your build,
Cheers,
Bruce

Looking forward to the results...

I assume you are already aware of it, but anyways, IIRC in some reviews they concluded that the kits were good in their basics, but a mix of ship-specific (and some cross over with sisters) features of different periods (like torpedo netting of one, masts of the other etc.).

Cheers,

Harm
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hello Harm,
I have a book that shows all of the German Naval forces at Jutland in Photo's and drawings.
It also has 1/350 scale line drawings of all of the ships, It was printed in the '20's and I am waiting for the translation of the book.
Hopefully I can get it right as I have not touched a model in 16 months due to illness.
Thanks for the info,
Cheers,
Bruce
dman57
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hey Bruce,
Are you going to be able to put any of the line drawings on the webpage? That would be really helpful to myself and lots of other builders
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hello Derek,
The book laying flat is 4 and a half feet long and top to bottom 3 and a half feet.
It has about 5,000 pages in German not only showing the ships, But the turrets, Guns, Armour thickness on different areas of the ships, Engines, ETC.
It is a true engineer's book. I found it in a flea market for a dollar down in Florida.
As big as it is I am not sure how to make a scan that will work, I will ask a shop I know that does special work in repairing books when I get it back from the translator. I sent the translator a message of when I will get everything back. The reply was He hoped that the Mayan prophesy for December 2012 is wrong.
As soon as I figure out a way to make some scan's of maybe have some one do them free hand on onion paper and shrink them to 1/700 or 1/1350, I will let everyone know.
Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP